Axel recall?

johnkimble

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of where I could get more information about the axel recall on mini-cruisers. I read something about it in a thread a little lower but it just said that one existed. Can someone get more specific?

John,

I think you will find that all the Toy Motorhomes over 18 foot, older than 1987, were recalled for the new axle. Follow this link over to the files at Yahoo Toyota Campers for more information on your question:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gGbwRoB90MgMn...zU/Axle_FAQ.pdf

If my link doesn't work, just follow the link on the main page over there and click on files and go down until you find Axle_FAQ.pdf. Basically almost everyone has recommended the 6 bolt 1 ton full floating axle no matter what. There are some photos on one of the sites showing exactly what to look for in identifying the proper axle. You just have to search around. Hope this helps.

This may be just the ticket for you: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-campers/message/75613 . Don't know what he wants for it. There are details around for swapping axles and some of the headaches you can run into. Nothing I would want to attempt. But my kid would jump right at it.

You should be able to pick up a axle for about $700 at a junk yard. Don't know what the swap would cost, but would think it would be about the same.

Oh, and I was reading a thread about someone having one done by one of the coach manufacturers that is still in business. Would have to be Dolphin or National. Which ever it was, they had a bunch of axles. Think the manufacturer was supplying the axle and customer was paying labor. Can't remember where I read it.

John,

From what I can tell here and over at Yahoo Toyota Camper Groups, there are a number of homes out there with the 5 bolt rear axles. Their owners know this and are careful not to do anything that would damage that axle. No towing and lighter loads are the key. Changing the rear end fluid out for a synthetic may help also.