Bad New Regulator. Derek Was Right About Saving Old Parts

When I was leaving Michigan last week to head to NY - I put a new propane regulator on my Mini-Cruiser just as preventative maintenance. They are supposed to be changed every 10 years and the one on there looks like the original (over 20 years old).

After one day of driving - while getting gas (gasoline,not propane) - I noticed one heck of a propane smell. So, I shut the tank off. We were using the Dometic refrigerator on 12 volts DC all the way so it was no big deal. We just could not use the heat or cook-stove.

Yesterday - I got around to checking the leak. Gas is pouring out of that new Camco regulator something awful. There's a small pin-hole sized vent just next to the gauge-test-port . That's where the gas is coming out.

Derek Up North commented about saving old parts "just in case." Yes indeed. Got the old reg back on until I can convince Camco to send me a new replacement. The paper receipt is still in Michigan. Camco told me to send them a photo of the new reg and my credit card invoice and then maybe -they'll send me a new replacement.

post-6578-0-28541600-1401721270_thumb.jp

Friend was telling me about some who had just purchased a new RV based on the Sprinter/mercedes truck. He's new to RV'ing and when he set up the first time when he turned on the propane tank there was a loud bang followed by a hissing noise. He shut the valve and took it to the dealer who found the regulator had blown apart under the tank pressure, guess where it's made :( Supposedly replaced with a USA made regulator.

john

Friend was telling me about some who had just purchased a new RV based on the Sprinter/mercedes truck. He's new to RV'ing and when he set up the first time when he turned on the propane tank there was a loud bang followed by a hissing noise. He shut the valve and took it to the dealer who found the regulator had blown apart under the tank pressure, guess where it's made :( Supposedly replaced with a USA made regulator.

john

This Camco is indeed made in China. I'm sure there are good ones made in China as well. We'll see. When I got the regulator in Alpena, Michigan - there was no other choice. I needed a two-stage regulator with a horizontal vent. I went to every dealer in town. RV and gas. Many vertical -vent regs around. Not horizontal. The only such reg I could find was at an RV dealer and all he had was the Camco from China.