I Finished My Almost Free New Bagless Awning Today!

Today I finally installed my new homemade hillbilly bag awning.This forum helped in the design of the unit. I sewed this myself as I have an old sewing machine. It's not pretty but its very sturdy and looks like it will last a while. I sewed a Loop channel on the awning and threaded the roof rope through it. I had to install a couple of small cleats on my rig to secure the ends of the lines. Also I added extra fabric on the corners so that the grommets would not rip out. It's an old 100 percent cotton painters canvas that has paint on one side already. I suppose I should spray it with scotch guard or some kind of wax or something to help keep water from impregnating the fabric. I also sewed 3 sets of ties, one on the top and one on the bottom and it rolls up nice and tight to the side of my rig. I hope it does not fill up with water!for a minimal cash outlay at least I now have shade to complete new projects.

post-7661-0-30805700-1397717982_thumb.jp

post-7661-0-86976100-1397718070_thumb.jp

post-7661-0-76397100-1397718110_thumb.jp

You know, I really like it.

Even if the fabric gets wet, it will dry as quickly as any laundry hanging on an outside clothesline.

You have me thinking of all the big pieces of fabric/tarp/possible awning fabric I see at garage sales for "almost" free.

yes I'm sure that this canvas will only be good for a couple of years. But it's easy enough to so this if you have a machine. I also think thatit's important to choose a combination of tarp and line thickness that will pull through your C channel without much resistance but yet be fat enough not to pull out when there is a lot of wind. I'm sure when the fabric gets wet that it will slightly swell making it more difficult to pull through in case you have to remove it.it must have some play in it or you won't be able to remove it. The C channel that I purchased online and installed on the drivers side of my rig is actually slightly smaller than the factory installed C channel. That means I will not be able to Inter change the two awnings I have for the two sides.