A Few More Comparisons

Debbit

After detailing two toys yesterday, I'm exhausted. One to sell, and one to "move into".

I like the layout of the dolphin rear kitchen better, but that isn't really specific to the brand. The dolphin feels more light and open because of the windows on both sides. The rader has the big windows and the open area at the back, but a tight bit in the middle.

I can appreciate some upgrades and newer features too. Two outside accessable storage areas, and black and grey water tank will be nice.

Yesterday I was at camping world and they had a sprinter "touring coach" open. I went in, and although it was beautiful, I wouldn't spend the $100,000 even if I had it. Narrow and dark. But it did make me realize what I was looking for in the sunrader. It is a vehicle that will be good for trips. The dolphin, ours anyway, is more suited to camping trips.

I'm a little scared of the automatic transmission, I like the power steering. The overdrive freaks me out a little. Coming out of Texas canyon in AZ, it quit working. I checked the manual at the next stop, and it said the overdrive won't engage around 4000 ft elevation....well, that is true.

Also says not to use overdrive if towing a trailer, which I suppose is equivalent to the camper on the back.

There are a lot of nice features on the sunrader that we will appreciate, probably because it is newer.

The AC isn't working yet in the rader, so can't compare the road noise. My husband goes on the roof, I haven't. He said the dolphin roof is pretty sturdy, being careful of where he walks. He looked at the rader roof, looks good but he hasn't been on it yet.

More comparisons. The sunrader has much easier access to work on stuff. The water lines are easy to follow and repair, the freshwater tank is easy to see, visually inspect. The shur flo is right next to the water tank and the water heater next to that. All can be worked on by lifting the seat of the dinette seat. All is well built and well designed. I can't really say the same was true of the dolphin....

I'm not the most experienced person around by a long shot, but I think most will agree that the Sunrader is the higher quality camper. That doesn't mean it's the perfect camper for you...but I think you'll continue to find that the Sunrader has the better design. So start looking at other stuff to compare...

Better design doesn't mean you'll be happier in it, but the Sunrader definitely wins in that category.

It seems like driving one would be like driving the other, not accounting for differences in model year of the truck. Then, while sleeping, a good quality mattress would equalize one rig with the other. A microwave is a microwave. A toilet is a toilet...

See where I'm going with this?

To me, it seems the difference is what you have to look at or touch/feel all day. In this case, I'll bet a Rader just feels better.

Several years back I was the owner of a cheap used motorhome that we took the kids camping in. I suppose it was pretty basic compared to the expensive rigs we saw in RV parks. I complemented an old man's (now I'm an old man) 34' Holiday Rambler. I figure it was worth $140k. He told me "Just be happy and content with what you have and can afford, they're all just a motorhome at the end of the day".

I've thought about what he said. There is a lot of truth there, but it sure is nice to have the rig you really appreciate.

To me, much of this motorhome hobby is the great people you get to meet. Folks that come from different places and interests.

All said, I think it would be fun to do what you guys did... get two and sell the least desireable.

I hope you enjoy your Rader, and the same goes for the new owners of your old Dolphin.

I've been thinking (while fixing up interior of sun rader)

While it may be true that some manufacturers use higher quality materials, the differences in the sun rader I now have and the dolphin I did have were not in the quality of materials. It was thoughtful design. It makes a big difference, but wouldn't have cost much more at all to make that difference.