A Comprehensive Look At Rv Plumbing.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Interesting, thanks for posting. Have question though. In the article PEX is specified as replacement pipe. My last ride I used PVC as most other people I know did. Is there some big advantage to using PEX? I have to redo a bit and had not considered PEX.

Jim SW FL

Interesting, thanks for posting. Have question though. In the article PEX is specified as replacement pipe. My last ride I used PVC as most other people I know did. Is there some big advantage to using PEX? I have to redo a bit and had not considered PEX.

Jim SW FL

Are you talking about the drain or the water supply piping? I think all of my RVs have polybutylene for supply pipes and ABS plastic for drains. PEX works fine as a replacement or repair piece for polybutylene. I've used it for patch-ins many times. The crimp fittings often used for PEX work fine with either.

15 years on the internet and I still don't give enough info, some day I will learn, today was not the day!

I used PVC for both the hot and cold water supply and drain. I did not know the crimps worked for either, that would be an advantage. Will the fittings work for both also?

Jim

I was talking about the flexible pipe like polybutylene or PEX. Not the hard PVC or ABS that has to be glued (PVC) or solvent-welded (ABS).

I had to do some repairs around my water heater. I used PEX and Sharkbite fittings. When using the Sharkbite fittings, you have got to have the ends of your PEX cut SQUARE. I had a persistent leak that was solve when I used a high quality cutter to get a square end cut, then all was good.