Replacing Shocks

sharpest

I have a 1983 21' Sunrader(1982 Toyota).

I am going to replace the shocks I have with with KYB Monomax shocks.

I am challenged mechanically so my brother in law who rebuilds cars as a hobby has generously offered to install the new shocks. He is aware the original axle has been replaced with the upgraded 6 bolt axle. He asked me to find out if shocks for a 1982 Toyota are the right ones for this replaced axle since it is a newer axle???

I would appreciate any suggestions from the group.

Thanks,

Bob

1983 21' Sunrader,

More than likely it is. The top mount should be the same. The shocks should be sitting like this / \ When looking from the back I believe.

Either way I am sure the type of shock is the same. eyelet on both sides.

The length is the only thing that may change if they moved the lower mount but I am sure not by much if any.

If you didnt want to verify what is there. Going with a stocker spec will get you the right thing if not close.

I have a 1983 21' Sunrader(1982 Toyota).

I am going to replace the shocks I have with with KYB Monomax shocks.

I am challenged mechanically so my brother in law who rebuilds cars as a hobby has generously offered to install the new shocks. He is aware the original axle has been replaced with the upgraded 6 bolt axle. He asked me to find out if shocks for a 1982 Toyota are the right ones for this replaced axle since it is a newer axle???

I would appreciate any suggestions from the group.

Thanks,

Bob

1983 21' Sunrader,

I "believe" that your 82 is the same chassis as my 81 diesel and the shocks on mine went vertically from the axle to the cross member as opposed to front to rear as in the later (post 84) models. If the axle was replaced you "might" have late model U-bolt mounts which is one shock in front of the axle and one behind the axle that go to the frame not the cross member OR you may have the original U-bolt mounts that still use the 82 style shocks. I replaced the springs and U-bolt mounts on the diesel with late model lower shock mounts and welded on 1988 4x4 frame top shock mounts to get larger, more effective shocks on it.

It would be best if you could get under it from the rear and take a photo of your rear axle showing what kind of shocks and mounts are on it now.

Bilstein no longer makes front or rear shocks for these model year trucks so you are out of luck getting a set of them... They sent my front shocks to their racing division and had them rebuilt for me as they could not replace them when I sent them back for warranty replacement last month. I bought the Bilsteins when I bought the diesel 12 years ago and now I have a new set of front and rear shocks courtesy of their lifetime warranty. I just hope that I never dent a tube as I wouldn't know what they would do then for warranty on these.

• 2 months later...
I ordered KYB Monmax shocks online from http://www.usautoparts.net. They were the only dealer either online or local that knew about the axle replacement. The part numbers for the shocks are 565041 and 565042. Total price for all 4 was $241.

After I get them installed I will let you know how they are.

Those '041s show to be for a Dodge Durango. Did they fit? I have new shocks (Monroe) on the front but need rears.