I just uploaded a YouTube video of the compression test I did last weekend. Compression test is a good indicator of the health of the valves and pistons and rings.

http://youtu.be/TeZ9iFRHRx8

I bought a cheap Compression test gauge from Harbor Freight, $20 on sale.

1) Get the engine up to operating temperature.

2) Remove the Mass flow sensor plug and the Distributor plug. This will prevent gas or ignition from happening.

3) Remove all 4 spark plugs.

4) Use the correct adapter on the gauge and screw the gauge into Spark plug hole #1, hand tight.

5) You MUST hold the throttle wide open, Gas pedal to the floor.

6) Crank the engine 6-8 times to get max reading (If your phone can video tape this, that a good idea so you can review whats happening.) Write the reading down, then repeat the procedure for the other cylinders.

Readings should be between 120 - 200. All four cylinders need to be reasonably close, I believe the Toyota people say 15 psi.

My readings were 170, 170, 170, and 165. These are very good

Readings like 170, 165, 170, 120 would be bad (the 120)

HINT - If the readings look bad, low, or you have a low cylinder, Do the following to help identify where the problem might be.

Do this with each cylinder one at a time

1) Take a compression reading, then immediately put a couple tablespoons of oil in the cylinder. I use a soda straw in 5w30 oil, dip the straw in a Qt of oil, plug the end with your finger, then quickly put the end of the straw in the spark plug hole and take your fnger off the end, the oil will drain into the cylinder. do this twice.

2) Reconnect the compression guage and take another reading.

Do this with all four cylinders.

Generally, if the readings improve significantly with the oil, this is a sign of bad rings. if the readings do not improve, this is a sign of bad valves.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto (For Sale)