Debating on a 1978 Chinook with fixed roof or 1989 Slumber Queen

ygplayer

So I'm deciding which way to go. Would love to hear you opinions on whether to get the 1978 chinook or the 1989 slumber queen which is very similar to the dophin version both units seem to be in very good shape. The 1978 was always parked in a cover area with very low miles. 1989 Slumber queens seems to be in good shape as well.

I am aware of the major differences (axle, engine and size and exterior build fiberglass or paneling type)

Which one would you choose and why?

I won't be using it as often as I would like to but it will most likely be used for 3-5 day camping trips

Also, resale value is also a consideration.

Note: I will be updating the entire coach on which ever I purchase.

These are my pros and cons for the two:

1978 Chinook

Pros

Smaller coach size

Manual transimisson

Fiberglass

Very cool retro looking

Ease of drivibilty since the weight is less the the slumber queen

Cons

Underpowered

Weaker axles

1989 Slumber Queen

Pros

V6 motor

6 bolt axles

Stonger frame

Cons

A bit to big for my liking but I can live with it if it is the better option

Not fond of the whole look of it.

Highway driving with high winds

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply or view my post.

Pat

Will you need/want a bathroom?

How many people will on average be on trips?

Do you bake?

Otherwise you pretty much have your +\- list, and just need to decide for yourself.

A bigger motorhome would be so nice, as far as space as comfort. But I'm not a motorhome guy...and need to keep reminding myself of that. The Chinook is already serious luxury.

No bathroom in the chinook. No oven. More than one person gets cramped...but two can be ok.

But it depends! If you're a guy who has no problem sleeping in the back of your truck, and have a significant other who is the same, and are looking at a small motorhome as a huge upgrade from that but aren't really motorhome people, Chinook all the way.

But if you actually want a motorhome, and more comforts...you're going to outgrow the Chinook pretty fast.

Also just the obvious age difference. With 70s (and 80s...) vehicles, you either need a decent amount of disposable income, or decent mechanic skills. Or both.

The v6 is a much more expensive engine to service, also. And doesn't really give you that much of a power gain. Having said that, though, most people here would probably tell you the V6 is worth it.