Towing with a Toy

nooga

How many Toyota owners out there tow a vehicle or trailer behind their MH? We like to camp in state and county parks, which usually are in rural areas, and would like the ability to hop in a car and go to town or visit tourist sites that nearby. We considered hauling a motor scooter a rear bumper carrier but feel they are unsafe on the open roads. Our 1994 Itasca Spirit weighs 5,356 pounds unloaded and has a gross carrying weight of 6,000. Leaves a little more than 500 pounds for two adults with an average weight of about 300 pounds plus water and fuel and the necessities of life on the road. I'm considering towing a tiny Smart Car For2, which weighs a little less than 2,000 pounds. Unless my math if wrong or I don't fully understand the nuances of gross vehicle weight, we would be dangerously overloaded. Yet, I frequently see photos of Toyotas pulling cars or loaded down with bicycles, motor scooters, canoes and kayaks piled on top. Two questions, based on forum participants collective experience: Could I get away with hauling a Smart Car? Does water in fresh water tank, gasoline and water in black and grey water tanks count in the unloaded gross vehicle weight equation? Any guidance and/or suggestions would be appreciated. Yeah, I know that Toy MHs can park just about anywhere and often double as a car when on the road. But I would love the flexibility of a car.

A loaded 21' will go in excess of 6,000# The weight figures are for an empty MH no water no propane tanks no gear no people. I guess my questions is how do you intend to stop this extra 2,000# with a breaking system that is all ready close to max? The GVW does not take into consideration the weight of a towed vehicle so now your breaking system is at a minimum of 8,000# The Toyota frames are extended to support the weight behind the rear axle the added frame work is not exactly strong so a custom frame would have to welded to the main frame to even support a small trailer. Toyota says "no towing" The bottom line you would not be happy towing that kind of weight.

As far as I know, Toyota does NOT say 'No Towing'. It's the MH manufactures who say 'No Towing'. At least they seem to acknowledge that their typical frame extensions are barely able to support the weight of the coach!

Toyota, on the other hand, rated the 1-Ton SRW truck for 8500lb GCWR (gross combination weight rating). I've unfortunately never seen a GCWR published for the 1-Ton DRW, but you'll have a really hard time convincing me that it's less than the SRW.

Reinforce the frame extensions, get a lightweight trailer WITH BRAKES and let us know how you do.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3574

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4421

:)

post-3557-0-22551000-1383693183_thumb.jp

Holy cow Derek .....

That's a sweet movie lol . Thanks for that ... Ey

I've been looking at options for the rear of my toyota too ... But it looks so week under the back frame .. Tiny in fact ..

Light trailer or car, possible. Look at the hitch on your toyhouse, make sure its strong and reinforced to the main frame.

Maybe go to a third party trailer hitch shop and let them look at it and tell them what you want to do.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Yeah if you look at how other countries use little Toyota trucks, it's pretty crazy. They use them like a full-size. Hauling giant trailers, loaded down with tons of stuff. But this is a motorhome, already maxed out, with a sketchy frame extension. Just keep that in mind.

This comes up regularly on the Subaru Outback forums. Look at what overseas owners are towing then look at the owners manual in the american made Outbacks. In fairness, the real Outbacks are made in Japan and have a better rear suspension than the ones made here by S.O.A., in a plant jointly owned by Toyota so they make Camrys part of the time.