Who was the ODYSSEY manufacturer?

brian213

Luxtrans Industries, San Bernadino Cal. I have a 79 named the Odd Duck. NADA guide is about worthless. An 86 long Toy MH in good cond. everything works no leaks and so on. Is a 6 grand MH, if things are wrong deduct the going price of replacement equipment. Pay attention to roof and flooring for holes and leaks. If its alum. skinned look, for any bubbles. That alum. deteriation and it if it has it the rot. If its really nice then it could be worth couple grand more. Just have deal on it.

Thanks a lot for the response!

I looked at it in the dark lastnight.

It doesn't have a generator, not sure where it would go yet.

No sure of the roof condition yet. The A/C is toast. No microwave.

The passenger seat is not bolted in.

The floor felt like some parts were higher than others and some parts of the floor gave a little once I stepped there. Not sure why this would be, but can guess.

There are no batteries in it at this point. I've got to bring one in order to start it.

The registration is 2-3 years old...not looking forward to registering it like that, in CA.

-Brian

OK the main corp. was General RV, another a/c installed at least a grand. It probably has the 3/8" ply with carpet over it and foam under, like mine. Good new batteries $150 area. Tires maybe dry rotted 8x100=$800 mount and balance put on MH. Ck. grey and blk. holding tanks , new ones about $300. Hey they can become a money pit!

Also couldn't find General RV in NADA. What were the years of mfr for these things?

I plan to go look at it again on Saturday.

I'm also wondering if it's possible, easily, to add a hitch to it...I don't want to tow anything, but want to put about 160 pounds somewhere on the back (a bike, small race bike).

-Brian

Edited by brian213

Howdy Brian.

Drop down the main page of this site, click on yahoo toyota group. On the yahoo groups' site page, look at the site map at the left upper corner. Click on files. Scroll down about three quarters of the way and you will see a pricing guide. Check that out.

I have seen as late as 88 model, don't know how long past that they stayed in business. Some say the recall on rearends put them under. mho is it was shoddy craftsmanship that did it. Their newer than 85 models may have been good, but those old ones like mine. Just poorly made with cheap coach building materials. Outside of mine needs to be reskinned and top roof and underneath bottom. Too costly for me i will fix mine well enought to get several years of camping out of it. Then it will be put under a pole barn and folks who come to visit will have a guest house. I'll be looking for a Sunrader late next year or following year.

Ok, that makes sense.

Well, I have kind of decided against the purchase of this thing. The floor just feels horrible. I have to wonder how that happened. This is SoCal, so it's mostly dry, while it's dry...but, if it's had a leak in the roof, I bet things are worse than I think.

All of the seams on the roof look pretty much like toast.

I figured out that the back door window it messed up...obvious, too, the tape marks around the edge. I grabbed the window and it moves way too easily. Also, the inside of the door would likely explode if I hit it.

The A/C just hums when turned on and the outside cover is gone...not cheap to replace the thing.

I put water in it and the pump works but sounds bad. Both tank valves are gone.

The fuel spout is hard to get to, since the plastic that is supposed to hold it is broken. After putting 1 gallon in, the batchroom smelled like fuel...doesn't sound like a good sign.

The 2.2R-E engine runs a bit rough and there may be a muffler problem. Only like 60k miles on it. This thing has likely been sitting for like 2 years, as the battery is dead and will not hold a charge.

I figure that it'd be worth it if I could get it for what I want to offer...but I don't think they'd accept the offer...and might just use it to be able to tell somebody "pay us this much and it's yours"...hmm. Guess I should make the offer in order to find out. I personally don't think it's worth more than about $1500 since I can only imagine how much work I would have to put into it in order to make it usable...I couldn't pay someone to do the work since I don't have the cash for that.

If I do get it, I could certainly use all of your help in figuring how to repair the items needing it.

Thanks!

-Brian

good job brian!

my sister went an looked at that one.. she passed.. but, Mainly, because of the " brother" .. the owner was really nice, she mentioned things that needed fixing, but HE just kept saying " its a Steal!" .. quite the salesman.. NOT!

I started to post you a warning, but, my cable crapped out.. then, I thought, well, Not my business to interfer.. let you get your own opinion...

I Must say.. the Pictures sure LOOK good.. very decieving... we must all beware!

Ha ha. I was just telling smokepolehall about the brother. Certainly an interesting fellow, in a strange way. I haven't seen his "new" pictures. He mentioned them to me when I was there last, asking if I got them...he didn't send them to me...I didn't need to see the pics, I'd already been there. Hmmm. :)

I forgot to mention that the registration is expired, over two years old, early 2005, I think. That's another bonus, if I remember properly...the DMV will ding the new owner for all of that time plus penalties, right?

Oh yeah, the battery compartment plywood is back and falling apart, too.

-Brian

Edited by brian213