1983 RBR

todd

Hello everyone out there in Toyota motorhome land - I own a 1983 Toyota RBR 4-speed manual motorhome. Much of it is in great shape and rebuilt, etc. I've added some nice touches, too. But I have a problem in that it has the original 5-bolt rear axle. The home is listed as 20 feet but actually measures about 19. As far as I can tell, the RBRs recalled were those built on a Chevy S10 base, not the Toyota, and as far as the NHTSA records go, none of the RBRs built on a Toyota frame have failed, nor do they have complaints against them.

I haven't been able to locate a used 6-bolt axle, and I am not using the home. But I would like to take a trip - so, my question is, does anybody out there know the maximum load bearing weight for a 5-bolt axle? Toyota won't say, and RBR is out of business. There is not a whole lot of weight on the rear axle as the unit is sparely built - I figured I could see what the weight is and the maximum the axle should bear and maybe chance it.

And, does anybody have a lead on an axle?

Also, does anyone have any experience with a Weber high-performance carburator and headers for one of these 22R engines? Mine has both, and it runs uphill like a goat - but there's a lot of heat. Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks for your help. I love this little unit and look forward to great travels.

Todd

Yes all Toy MH over 18' were put on recall, that were made 86 and older. Some folks were just to lazy to take their Toy's back to have new free 6 lug rearends installed! Max wt. depends on length. Mine is 17' 6" bumper to bumper or 17' without them. Mine is allowed 4600 lbs. total, thats all its safe to carry! To make mine safe, i think empty wt. is 3800 lbs. i have to put extra's on a utility trailer and pull behind MH. With my Mrs., her 2 foofoo dogs, a cat, full water tank ,full gas tank and full LP bottle ,,food clothing eating stuff and gen. and gas can for it full. Makes mine several hundred over the wt. limit. Now do i think a 5 lug rearend ( thats) what i have is safe at max load wt! NO! Thats why i put almost everything we need to take on the trailer. Its rated at 1,000, but i don't load it that heavy. About 850 lbs. is most i put on trailer and balance it out with between 75-100 lbs. tongue wt.

Thanks, smokepolehall. I will have mine weighed, empty, and then figure my options. I like the trailer idea except that's why we quit with the fifth-wheel - but a small trailer will be easy. Appreciate your input, though.