One ton axles are not bulletproof. Can anyone help?

So I was backing my RV into it's spot last night when I heard a pop, and it lost all power and ability to move.

The RV is gutted and not overweight. The engine is stock and makes less than 100HP.

Here's why:

P8250273.jpg

P8250272.jpg

P8250271.jpg

Driver's side to compare:

P8250274.jpg

Does anyone have a spare axle shaft laying around they could sell me?

So I was backing my RV into it's spot last night when I heard a pop, and it lost all power and ability to move.

The RV is gutted and not overweight. The engine is stock and makes less than 100HP.

Here's why:

P8250273.jpg

P8250272.jpg

P8250271.jpg

Driver's side to compare:

P8250274.jpg

Does anyone have a spare axle shaft laying around they could sell me?

I've seen axles fail like that on several trucks of different makes. I assume it's from metal fatique and perhaps, bad quality control. I.e., it may of been flawed since it left the factory.

You're lucky it's a full-floater. If it had been the light-duty semi-floater- the wheel would of come off with it.

Plenty around used and sometimes U-Haul has them in new old-stock. With the following used axles -all supposed to be from dually full-floaters but call to verifiy .

$55 in Tennessee 865-573-2416 / 888-646-3698

$65 in Ohio 1-800-225-9025

$75 in Florida 1-941-722-6279

$75 in California 1-800-544-3488

$85 in Colorado 1-800-610-8074

$100 in Maryland 410-799-1320

$100 in California (California Mini-truck) 909-622-1381

$100 in Nebraska 1-800-422-4683 (from a 1991 dually)

$100 in Kentucky 1-800-221-3993 (from a 1992 dually)

$125 in California 1-877-722-3138 (from a 87 Dolphin RV)

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen axles fail like that on several trucks of different makes. I assume it's from metal fatique and perhaps, bad quality control. I.e., it may of been flawed since it left the factory.

You're lucky it's a full-floater. If it had been the light-duty semi-floater- the wheel would of come off with it.

Plenty around used and sometimes U-Haul has them in new old-stock. With the following used axles -all supposed to be from dually full-floaters but call to verifiy .

$55 in Tennessee 865-573-2416 / 888-646-3698

$65 in Ohio 1-800-225-9025

$75 in Florida 1-941-722-6279

$75 in California 1-800-544-3488

$85 in Colorado 1-800-610-8074

$100 in Maryland 410-799-1320

$100 in California (California Mini-truck) 909-622-1381

$100 in Nebraska 1-800-422-4683 (from a 1991 dually)

$100 in Kentucky 1-800-221-3993 (from a 1992 dually)

$125 in California 1-877-722-3138 (from a 87 Dolphin RV)

Thank you very much for that. After some diagnosing, including pulling the third member out and checking it over, I pulled the axle, and set it on two saw horses.

I rotated the axle housing and watched the wheels- the passenger side (The one that blew out) has over an inch of wobble (Deflection).

So my axle housing is bent. Which is why it finally fatigued and blew out.

It wouldn't be such an issue if it was just an RV. But right now it's my living quarters *and* work truck while I am in Arizona. I am trying to find a replacement axle or axle housing.

In case if anyone is wondering, no, i didn't bend the axle. It was pulled from a random flatbed minitruck in a friend's boneyard, 15 years ago. I've put less than 1,000 miles on it. I've never had more than 1,000 lbs (Less in fact) inside the RV at any time. (RV is gutted inside)

Edited by thetundrawolf

I rotated the axle housing and watched the wheels- the passenger side (The one that blew out) has over an inch of wobble (Deflection).

Thank you very much for that. After some diagnosing, including pulling the third member out and checking it over, I pulled the axle, and set it on two saw horses.

Maybe I'm missing something here? A slightly bent axle housing is not going to have much effect on the axles or make one break. If would make the axle-splines wear prematurely where they plug into the differential side-gears. It would put the two wheels in slightly different planes and cause premature tire wear, less-then-perfect handling, etc. The housing just holds the center-section (Hotchkiss drive) and the stubs on both ends that carry the bearings. Now a severe bend - yeah - I can see where something would have to give since the axles have no flexilble joints other then were the splined ends can wobble a bit inside the differential side-gears.

Like I said - maybe I'm not accurately understanding your description. Any "wobble" indicates an eccentric somewhere. Since an axle-housing is a stationary part - it cannot act as an eccentric. If an axle is bent, it can since it rotates.

You say you rotated the housing and watched the wheel wobble. OK. Since the housing is usually bolted fast and stationary - your test is the same as having the housing stationary and rotating the wheel. If it wobbles - the axle is bent. If the housing was bent- it would not wobble. It would just not be parallel to the other wheel.

Tell me what I am missing here.

Maybe I'm missing something here? A slightly bent axle housing is not going to have much effect on the axles or make one break. If would make the axle-splines wear prematurely where they plug into the differential side-gears. It would put the two wheels in slightly different planes and cause premature tire wear, less-then-perfect handling, etc. The housing just holds the center-section (Hotchkiss drive) and the stubs on both ends that carry the bearings. Now a severe bend - yeah - I can see where something would have to give since the axles have no flexilble joints other then were the splined ends can wobble a bit inside the differential side-gears.

Like I said - maybe I'm not accurately understanding your description. Any "wobble" indicates an eccentric somewhere. Since an axle-housing is a stationary part - it cannot act as an eccentric. If an axle is bent, it can since it rotates.

You say you rotated the housing and watched the wheel wobble. OK. Since the housing is usually bolted fast and stationary - your test is the same as having the housing stationary and rotating the wheel. If it wobbles - the axle is bent. If the housing was bent- it would not wobble. It would just not be parallel to the other wheel.

Tell me what I am missing here.

You are incorrect.

If I were to rotate the tire with the axle housing stationary, the tire would rotate without any wobble whatsoever, as it is reliant on the bearings, and nothing else. The spindle itself is not bent or the bearings would eat themselves alive, or crack completely off from the axle housing. If the spindle itself was bent about halfway, then you would see wobble by spinning the tire itself.

However, if I rotate the housing, and there is a bend in the housing, then a wheel will show it by having a wobble, or runout, because there is no hiding a bend with the bearings, if the spindles are bent, it will show.

The break on the flange is characteristic with fatigue cracking, which would be happening if the spindle was bent (Or axle housing) and explains the higher temperatures when read with an infrared thermometer when I brought it from CA to AZ. It's like bending a coathanger back and forth, back and forth- sooner or later it's going to break.

And the inch and an eighth thick axle shaft that is more solid than a semi full floater axle shaft isn't going to give like the quarter inch thick flange, which is exactly where it broke.

Edited by thetundrawolf

I guess I understand what you are describing. The main parts of the axle that need to be "straight" or better said, in exactly the same plane, are the two axle stubs. The housing inbetween the stubs could have all kinds of bends in it and it would not make the wheels "wobble" when rotated. If one axle was out of plane with the other and you rotated the axle-housing with the wheels stationary on the ground - they you'd have lots of wheel wobble.

• 1 year later...

I guess I understand what you are describing. The main parts of the axle that need to be "straight" or better said, in exactly the same plane, are the two axle stubs. The housing inbetween the stubs could have all kinds of bends in it and it would not make the wheels "wobble" when rotated. If one axle was out of plane with the other and you rotated the axle-housing with the wheels stationary on the ground - they you'd have lots of wheel wobble.

Exactly. It wasn't so much the housing itself as the axle stub that was bent upward. The new axle housing was inspected with a laser for straightness. The swap was easy, and I decided to go with a new crush sleeve for the pinion shaft, just to make sure everything was fresh.

You are incorrect.

What on God's green earth are you talking about? I am "incorrect" about what? You lost me The rest of your post that follows "incorrect" has nothing to do with anything I've posted.

What on God's green earth are you talking about? I am "incorrect" about what? You lost me The rest of your post that follows "incorrect" has nothing to do with anything I've posted.

Sorry. That was posted some time ago. But the axle end being bent simulates a bent axle housing. You are partially correct, the splines were so expanded from the heat it took a ton of force to get the half shaft out of the differential. Lots of pounding and pulling. Almost welded a stud to it to get it out. The new half shaft slid in with a slight interference, same as the other side. The effect of flexing the end plate was such that it burst out like in the pics I first posted. So a bent axle housing will stress the plate.