Easy way to carry 160 pound moped??

errolprowse

Hello toyota gods!! Thank you for bringing us this amazing forum, i use it all the time for information for my toyota rv.

i live in my toyota rv full time for a couple years now, and i want to add a moped to the rear :)

details: I have the standard square tubing in the rear, that attaches directly to the chassis frame. right now it holds the septic tank flush tube, and also has a "bolt on" spare tire carrier, that is holding my bike right now just fine. it is a full bumper, of steel tubing, that goes across the back of the rv.

so.... 160 pound moped, maybe addition of 20 pound bicycle, all attached to this??:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Receiver-Bumper-Mounted-Cargo/dp/B005HJTQO0

or maybe this???

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/U/F/UF35-946402_3_1000.jpg

then just stick a tiny rack to the hitch mount...

what do you guys think? i am totally ok with criticism if this idea is just not ideal :) tell me what you really think.

Most of the rear square tubes are sheet metal with no structural integrity. Also, thats a lot of weight hanging out there 6 ft behind the rear wheels.

I've see people put these on the front bumper, but I don't recall ever hearing of someone with a toyhouse doing it.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Errol,

You can probably carry the moped back there but not with the hitch that's there. You'll have to go to a welding/hitch shop that knows how to reinforce the hitch with extra steel that goes all the way forward to the original frame and gets welded there. Tell them what you want to carry back there and don't let them tell you that the hitch you have now will work. It won't. It would be a shame to see your moped bouncing down the highway in your rear view mirror...

John