Attaching bars to roof to carry canoe

I would like to attach a roof rack for my canoe on top of my toyota winni. What type of backing is under the metal roof skin. Should I use some sort of special screws or lags, and should some special sealer be used as well. I was also wondering what is the best material for filling screw holes from fixtures removed from the roof. Thanks

Hello Charlie,

Regarding the best material to fill past roof holes, it depends on the type of roof that you have.

My 91 has an all alumimun roof, and I have been happy with using Dyco 20/20. It kind of looks

like white cake frosting and is easy to use. It is self leveling, so after you apply it, is will sink down

a bit, which is great for filling gaps, but you might have to give it a second coat the next day.

Dennis...

• 2 weeks later...

Just a Canoe rack update, over 2000 miles of driving 60 to 70mpg and getting passed from both directions, driving throught a rain storm and experiencing high winds, the canoe and rack are working great.

Dennis

Good to hear your rack is working for you. I completed my 4,200 trip and the ride through SD

was the worst, 10 to 40mph winds for about 4 hours, the wind was blowing so hard it pushed me

into the next lane about a half dozen times. I stopped twice to check out the canoe and it was

solid. I think you made the right decision to go with the 3/4 inch pipe, the 1/2 inch pipe is working

okay for me, but if I even put another canoe on top the 1/2 pipe might bow too much. I works

fine for one canoe, but if I even decide to go with two, I will probably end up replacing the cross

pipes with 3/4 inch.

Dennis...

• 7 months later...

Build your rack to go from roof trim on each side. Using 1" wide flat 3/16 stainless or 1/4 inch aluminum long enough to use at least 4 existing roof edge trim screw holes on each side. Caulk under the flat base to reseal the trim screws. This will require some specialty welding but should offer a solid mount and no "new" holes through the roof.

Stainless boat railing with a slight upward bow should support two canoes and the elbows are available at marine supply and on ebay. You could have tie down rings slipped in place before connecting the end of the cross support.

Also if the mother in law gets on your nerves it gives her something to hang on to if you put them on the roof and it will look good. :D