Transmission Cooler

Palouse Rider

What if any brand of automatic transmission cooler do you guys recommend? I'd like to add one for peace of mind. At 60-65 my temp gauge reads about 210 degrees F.

Thanks! :D

They are all pretty generic. The differences are types of fins, there are even some with electric fans. I gought one from Kragen Auto Parts. Actually took the first one back because even though it looked small to me it was to big. I had to get the smallest I could find. The ac condensor tales up allot of room in front of the radiator and I do not have enough room between the ac and the grill so the trans cooler had to be mouted low and to one side. You may have to remove the grill to measure for the biggest you can fit.

I have also heard of a type that mounts on the frame rail.

Was that temp (210) trans or water temp. I have a trans temp gauge and its not to uncommen for the temp to be 210 and higer in certain types of driving. For me I found cruzing down the freeway in overdrive at 65 mph to be the coolest running. But I have an A340F, yours is most kikely a differnt transmission so it will react differently depending if your torque converter can lock and unlock. Most 22rs do not lock but most V6 do lock.

Hope that helps - yes put in a trans cooler, the biggest you ccan fit.

Greg

Thanks Greg,

The 210 was the transmission temp gauge. The engine temp never reached the middle of the scale, so the engine it appears never got too hot. Someone told me that most toy motorhomes came with a cooler at the factory, mine did not.

I am concerned because at one point, driving on a level surface at about 60mph, the transmission shifted itself down to 2nd gear by itself. The only way I could get it to shift up to 3rd was to engage the overdrive. When I turned the OD off the trans would stay in 3rd. Wierd. It may need adjustment. I put the rig in my friends barn for the winter, so I'll deal with this in the spring. I'm getting quite a list of projects to do in the spring.

~Dave