I wold like to know if anyone out there can tell me

what might be wrong with my ect Ctrl button in my

1990 conquest lights up when I push it in but as soon as I release it the light goes out and it does not seem to have any effect on the transmission.

thanks for any info you can supply

Dkwct a newbie

First thought that comes to mind is possibly the switch is bad.Try having someone hold the switch in while you are driving and see if that causes the trans to upshift at a higher than normal rpm.All that switch does is hold the up shifts longer to allow the engine rpm to get higher up in its horsepower range before it shifts up to the next gear. If that makes no difference then you could take the switch out and connect the wires on the back of the switch together and see what that does if it can be made to work by either of those methods i would replace the switch,beyond that you will get into some diagnostics that will depend on your mech/electrical abilities or you may have to take it to someone who understands the older Toyotas.Personally i would avoid the national chain transmission shops and any transmission shop that tells you the problem requires a trans overhaul!