front window seal product

bufbooth

Hello All,

I have owned my 1990 Toyota for a year now and realized that the roof seam seals were probably done

about 5 to 8 years ago, so it was time to redo it. I have a one piece aluminum roof, but needed to

reseal around all the vents and the front/rear, and side seals. I scraped off all of the old stuff and cleaned

every thing up, then used Dyco 20/20 to create the new seals. It looks great. I also noticed that the

seal material that was around my front coach (overhead bed) windows was falling apart. It looked like

a clear rubber type material. I scraped all of it off and used a house type clear window sealer. We finally

had a good rain yesterday so I headed into the motorhome to check for leaks. All was good until I

was checking out all of the windows and noticed my front window was leaking. I took the inside frame

off and found some small water damage, about a 4 x 3 inch area. I am drying it out now with a fan.

I think I might of found the leak, there was no sealant where the window frame comes together, either

that or the rubber seal around the glass is going. Also, I think that the sealant around the windows

that I added will not hold up over time.

What is the recommended window trim sealer?

Thanks,

Dennis...

I have owned my 1990 Toyota for a year now and realized that.....

What is the recommended window trim sealer?

What make/model is it? Sunrader used an automotive type rubber front window seal but other manufactures used aluminum framed windows which use a butyl caulk/tape seal under the window frame.

If yours is the aluminum window frame type you can find butyl caulk/tape at all RV stores or online. It comes in a continuous roll of about 30' To apply you need to remove the window, clean off the old caulk and replace with new, then re-install the window. You should use butyl caulk/tape on all fixtures (roof vents, waste vents, side seams, etc)

If yours is a Sunrader you can use a caulk product like lexel to go around the rubber gasket. Lexel can be found at most hardware and building supply stores.

I have the aluminum frame type, and did notice on the inside that it looked

like the rope / chaulk was used. My motorhome model is Odyessy.

Also, around the glass is about a 1/2 rubber gasket that looks like it is

near replacement, where can I purchase one of those? This is the type

that the rubber gasket gets pushed over the glass edge and then the other

side of the rubber gasket gets pushed into the aluminum frame.

Thanks,

Dennis...

I had the same problem recently but with a slightly different window design. I left the old gasket intact and laid some butyl tape (which has tar in it) slightly on the gasket and to within a 1/4" of the outside of the frame, after seriously cleaning. Then a 1/4" inch bead of Henry's roofing tar along that outside edge next to the butyl tape . Get someone to help you set it back in so you don't slobber tar all over the exterior, wear gloves, the tar will ooze out when you tighten and is a chore to clean up. It may be easier to wait a few days to let the tar harden a little and then cut it off rather than trying to wipe it off when it's fresh. In either case it's a chore but guarantees a good seal. Using mineral spirits, goof-off or wd40 on any cutting or cleaning tools helps.On other leaks, on the side of the rv, I was able to just lay down butyl putty or else just jam it behind the frame with a thin flathead screwdriver, dipping it in water so the putty doesn't stick to the screwdriver.

Good Luck,

Roger