hello to all once again...

thanks in large part to your sound advice my little '85 coachmen has 15000 more miles on it than it did when I bought it last october... the ride has roughened significantly and yes it's them pesky leaf springs. I found new ones but now one neighbor tells me we could just jack between the axle and frame, supposedly to recurve the spring, and then heat it with a torch to set it... he then told me all i would need is a heavy duty helper spring to clamp on top and it would be good to go... is he a genius or does he just drink too much AND is there really a difference? I would rather put the 600 bucks for the new springs/installation into the solar fund but would really like some input from you guys... thanks. john

it's them pesky leaf springs. I found new ones but now one neighbor tells me we could just jack between the axle and frame, supposedly to recurve the spring, and then heat it with a torch to set it... he then told me all i would need is a heavy duty helper spring to clamp on top and it would be good to go... is he a genius or does he just drink too much AND is there really a difference? ... thanks. john

Maybe this will shed some light on the process needed to get the springs back in shape better than a torch and a brewsky :headbonk:

http://www.eatonsprings.com/rearching.htm

Thanks for the info Nolan... I guess it also answered my other question regarding drinking and intelligence... BTW, the springs i found are 4 leafs and 2 load springs with the top two leafs being 1 mm thicker than my current springs (6 leafs). The shop i got them from recommends that i utilize something else to help carry the load... I've read all the related threads that cover what other guys have used, from coils between the axle-frame, air bags, and helper springs but it's got me a little confused as to what i should try with mine. Cost is definitely a factor and since i'm not a welder/fabricator i've ruled out the air bags since most of what i've read states that on '84 chassis, there isn't a bolt on application; and i've learned that adding a heavy duty helper will make the ride stiffer, but are there drawbacks to the coils too? If so, i'm ready for enlightenment.

Thanks again. John

John, This one of those what the heck do ya do situations, anything you use to add load carrying ability or raise the tailend up stiffens the suspension and results in a stiffer ride. The air bags are nice as they are adjustable, also if plumbed individually can be used to level from side to side, but even though they claim as a bolt on kit, most of the motorhomes don't allow that because of the floor construction, frame extensions, ect. camper builders didn't concern themselves with anyone wanting to work on them it seems.

The coil springs between the axle and frame are more suited as an overload, they usually are just along for the ride until enough weight is put on to bring the frame and coil into contact. Helper springs or add-a-leaf type springs will gain some lift and weight carrying ability but stiffen the ride, most times it seems the addition of helper springs is an attempt to force the worn out leaves back to shape by installing and cranking down the tension.

Air shocks, coil over springs around the shocks, gain a little weight holding but the weight is transferred to the shock and shock mounts.

Probably the best compromise would be the new leaf springs, a friend had a new set installed on his 83 Dolphin, nice looking spring pack too, has 8 leafs, I'll have to check with him again but seemed he told me the shop built the spring pack, installed it and was under 400 bucks complete. He was a happy camper, the rig sat a little tail up now and the ride quality didn't suffer any.

Thanks again Nolan,

Man, it sounds like your friend with the 83 Dolphin got a grand deal... I called everybody and found all prices (just for the springs) to be around 400 clams. Plus he got 8 leafs installed as opposed to my 6 uninstalled... if this shop is remotely interested in building another pair (i got all the measurements) i would enjoy giving them a call if you have the info. I'd love to be able to just go with a good enough spring pack by itself and not have to bother with anything else. Then i could just return the ones i bought... as usual with you guys, my gratitude overfloweth... BTW, my neighbor is a little down now that he found he's not a misunderstood genius, but just a heavy drinker... John

BTW, my neighbor is a little down now that he found he's not a misunderstood genius, but just a heavy drinker... John

:lol: I,ve seen a few of those genious'es work before, one that always stuck with me was the one I seen where the guy installed a sway bar on the rear, and welded the ends of the bar to the leaf springs as opposed to using end links. Anyhoot I,m attempting to find out what I can for ya, no answer on the phone tonight but I'll keep trying. If my memory serves me right I believe they had it done in Las Vegas somewhere. Laterz.

Hey thanks again Nolan... maybe that guy with the sway bar was my neighbor, stranger things have happened. I've decided to just go ahead with the springs i have and make a decision on what to add to them next week since procrastination i've heard sometimes serves a purpose. Besides, those old leafs i have on now are so bad, i'm crawling down the road dreading every bump, ready to hear something snap... I have all the extra hardware too, and while the shackles look good enough to use, am i crazy not to just get new ones or is it ok to use the old. I have no idea how long these things are good for. John