1978 Chinook sagging roof

zero

I've got my 78 Toyota Chinook in the back of my shop as a winter project. I finally started looking at the roof more closely. Holy cow was that thing sagged! Much more then I first thought. Now I'm wondering what is the cause of this? If it was a northern RV I'd blame it on four feet of snow sitting on it (common around here). But - this Chinook came from Louisiana. So - I'm wondering if heat can take a toll on polyester-based fiberglass resin and let it sag when hot. Most of glass work has been with boats that are near or in water and don't suffer from high heat. I used half -a-dozen jacks and heated certain areas while jacking. If I did't use heat it sounded like it was going to crack. Now I guess I'll reinforce and repair with some epoxy-based fiberglass that won't suffer from heat. Maybe add some extra supports also.

One funny discovery was a solar panel on the roof that I didn't even know was there. Looks like a 15 watt panel and it was hooked to the cranking battery. Guess that's why it's held a charge so well. Any normal lead-acid battery self-discharges 5-10% per month.

Before jacking:

100_0669.jpg

100_0655.jpg

After putting half a dozen jacks under it:

100_0691.jpg

100_0688.jpg

100_0690.jpg

100_0689.jpg

100_0694.jpg

I've got to say, it's been a loooong time since I've seen a 'South of the Border' bumper sticker. You've got to keep it!

I've got four old campers and all of them have "South of the Border" stickers on them. I don't even know what "South of the Border" is? I assume Mexico but never gave it much though.

Wow, you've got to get out more!

http://www.thesouthoftheborder.com/

Used to see them very commonly here in Quebec with all the Snowbirds heading down I95 to Florida. But as I said, haven't noticed one in years. Maybe they just looked better on a chrome bumper! I had one on my '81 Pontiac Bonneville. :)

Wow, you've got to get out more!

http://www.thesouthoftheborder.com/

Used to see them very commonly here in Quebec with all the Snowbirds heading down I95 to Florida. But as I said, haven't noticed one in years. Maybe they just looked better on a chrome bumper! I had one on my '81 Pontiac Bonneville. :)

I've only been down south only twice in my life (southeast that is). Many that's the cause of my ignorance. Most of my "South of the Border" campers also have Florida Keys stickers all over them - and one has a pretty nice Regan-Bush sticker on it.