Dead Inverter?

Tim Buktu

Xantrex 1750 inverter just stopped working. It's about 8-9 years old. Install by previous owner. Is that normal life expectancy?

Note: Lifeline AGM Batteries of same age just had to be replaced. (Switched from two 12 volt parallel to two 6 volt in series.) Install done by Powerstride in Corona CA. Have used new batteries + old inverter for two days straight with no issue. Ran my laptop for hours last two nights + this afternoon.

Wiring is very thick gauge. Bigger than my thumb! All fuses and breaker on positive line are OK.

This happened in Lowes parking lot while i boondocked in rain. Bought 800 watt replacement inverter with alligator clips. Works on all terminals from battery to breaker to input on old inverter! Must be a bad inverter, no?

My computer and peripherals ran off new inverter just fine! (It consumes under 200 watts continuous).

Still I didnt want to give up on old inverter. Maybe just low batteries from no sunshine today? Maybe 1750 Xantrex inverter has a capacitor that got drained?

So I got out 1,000 watt Honda Generator. Charged on shore power until batteries were back up to 13.2 volts. Tried toggling old Xantrex inverter again. Nothing!

Only other thing I noticed. Not sure it helps...When inverter first cut out I toggled on/off switch. Mostly nothing happened. But 3 separate times it turned on for a split second.

I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Try taking it apart and looking. You mentioned capicators, I've heard a lot about bad capicators in electronics lately and the last time I unplugged the micronota alarm clock I've had for 20 years when I plugged it back in it didn't work and display was jumbled. Upon disassembly the only large capicator in it had blown and taken out part of the main pc board, unrepairable.

In your case it could be as simple as a bad switch. Good luck!!!

vanman

They do have fuses in side but if there was no reason for it to stop working and they are blown it most likely is toes up. If it was reversed polarity it will instantly take them out but as you say it was working.

Xantrex 1750 inverter just stopped working. It's about 8-9 years old. Install by previous owner. Is that normal life expectancy?

The older Trace/Xantrex inverters have internal fuses. Many of the newer ones now have a common-trip module. If you have a comon-trip module that's acting up, it's probably not worth messing with. If fuses - it's certainly work checking. I've got a Trace/Xantrex mod-wave DR2412 that is over 12 years old. Rated 2400 watts full time ad 4000 watts surge. It has gotten weaker over the years but still works fine. Just lost some of its surge capacity.