Pop-ups this morning?

Derek up North

So I get up this morning and fire up the computer (Win XP Pro & Firefox 15) and on the right side of my screen (this site only that I've noticed) there's a big pop-up (~1/6 of the screen) for game sites or psychic readings (so far). Anyone else getting this cr@p? It's a PITA to have to click the 'x' to close it each time so I can read the whole screen!

Hmmm. Just opened IE 8 and there's no pop-up on this site! So it appears to be a Firefox thing! So, anyone else seeing pop-ups with Firefox? If so (or not), what version of Firefox are you using? I've been clicking on 'No thanks' to all the offers to upgrade to Firefox v17.

PS, a week ago I also started to get a pop-up across the bottom of my Firefox screen for Twitter. I don't Tweet, so I don't know where that comes from!

bleh firefox...never cared for it much. Chrome for me. I too have even seen things like that for chrome. once they get their hooks into you via undetected BHOs, malware, redirectors, plugins, hijackers its all over. From time to time its wise to go into security settings in I.E. and put a stop to anything that you didnt expressly put in there. Disable them, delete them if you know they are junk etc.

a great tool for cleaning crap is "hijack this".

... do tools drop down, then content tab and make sure block pop ups is checked.

Had already done this and it was already 'checked'.

On a brighter note, the pop-ups have disappeared as quickly as they appeared. And I did nothing. Not even a reboot!! Who knows, maybe they'll be back tomorrow!!

After I got the last virus from this site, I can't even open it anymore at work. My computer immediately shuts the site down and I get a call from the IT department, and then can't use my computer for the next hour while the run programs on it.

Guess I'll just have to only visit the site on my own time! :)

Oh yeah. And youtube, any streaming audio or video, any email other than outlook...the list goes on....

I'm a state employee, so anything that the public could consider a waste of taxpayer dollars has to be cut out. I'm allowed to stare at the wall for an hour...but I can't look at youtube.

Edited by MontanaChinook