Washing Your MH ?

OFDPOS

Hope this was the right place to post this ?

Ok quick lesson I learned the hard way when I got my license and my first vehicle...

I didn't know that you should "only" use car wash soap to wash your car.

There I was every Sat. morning washing my mini Toy truck , then dry it all off to spend another 3 hours hand waxing it from bumper to bumper ,man you could toss the towell on the hood and it would just slide right off it was so smooth and glossy. Armerall the tires, polish everything up nice for Sat night cruise, Yeah I'm looking fine !! lol

So next Sat morning rolls around I wash the truck , dang its not smooth and glossy what the heck cheap wax ???

Nope ! next door old fart neighbor, apparently I was his entertainment on Saturday mornings, he would sit out on his porch drinking coffee and watch me do the whole thing. Finally after a month or so of watching me wash , dry , then scratch my head and do the wax job all over again he wondered on over to my driveway and asked "did I know why my wax job wasn't lasting longer than a week"

I said no !, I was using expensive wax (to a 16 year old $10 for a bottle of wax is very very expensive lol )

He had saw what soap I was putting into the bucket , Dawn Dish soap. (Now this was way before any commercials about oil spills now so don't go there lol ) He gave a life lesson on (well to a 16 yr old) the basics of what to use to wash your car and why .

He said there was a reason why there is DISH soap and CAR wash soap...

I had no idea I was basically stripping the wax off every time I washed my truck when I used the (Dawn) Dish soap .

After that I only bought CAR wash soap, and ya know what the wax lasted ALOT longer lol

Turned out to be great neighbor I learned alot from that old fart , I miss talking with him to this day...

SO now to my question ;

What do you use to wash your MH especially now that most of the sides are gel-coat fiberglass...

Do you use the marine/rv wash soap thats on the market ? or do you just use the standard CAR wash soaps ?

I've used Meguiers car wash for many years on my cars and trucks, but now with the motorhome having the fiberglass sides bigger than the front end ! Should I be looking at the marine/rv wash or just use car wash soap ??

Sorry for the lengthy post , but thought a few would get a chuckle and kinda explain why I'm asking...

Same as the van and cars and bicycles, Meguires Gold Class Auto Wash auto wash. But I only chamois off the Toyoya paint and chrome, and wheel covers, squeege the windows. The large plastic bottle at Costco will probably last me the rest of my life. Bye the way, I don't use a 5 gal bucket anymore, mix up small amount in a plastic spray bottle and squirt it rite onto the surface then use brushs or carmop with handle.

vanman

Two places, pressure wash car wash (4 quarts gets you 5 minutes) , can usually get it done in two cycles (get all the road salt off, don't send to much time in one place with the pressure nozzle.

Hand wash occasionally at home, I use Dawn Dish soap, I also bought one of those long expandable poles that has a wash rag on the end. Can wash it in about 15 minutes.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I wouldn't... sunrader is tough as nails. I've never seen a truck wash... is it an overgrown car wash?

... I just googled them for pictures; every one I saw was touchless waiter...I wonder how much they cost and if they would let us use em?

Yah, look around any truck stop. I can't remember the brand name. (Eagle, I think) Giant car wash, They have one at I-80 and I-280 just south of Toledo.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I found a manual car wash in Spearfish South Dakota that had an outside sprayer and foam brush. I was able to get the dust from 15 miles of gravel road off for $4.