Washboard solutions

purplhay

1991 Sunrader 21' v6 auto. Looking for WASHBOARD solutions. I live in Boise, Idaho, and everyplace cool to go here in this state requires many miles of washboard.

I can only go 5 mph or less while the 3/4 ton diesel trucks with campers and pulling a trailer whiz past me at 50 mpg. Every screw, bolt and fastener comes loose under these conditions, not to mention it takes me forever to get anywhere.

I have stock dually on 14" wheels with new tires. Is there a solution for reducing the washboard???? I was wondering if a larger diameter wheel and tire will resolve? That would require a gear change on rear diff though?

Besides reducing tire pressure on all four wheels in the rear, is there another idea that can be implemented?

What do you do?

post-6285-0-09784800-1349884152_thumb.jp

Larger diameter wheels will disperse the pressure over a larger area, so it will smooth bumps out a bit. The problem with washboards is the suspension. A soft leaf spring pack will allow you to ralley through the washboards, but will not support the weight of a Toy home safely without bad sway problems. The fact of the matter is, it's a motorhome and you're just gonna have to go slow & piss people off, that's part of the game. I've got a 4 wheel drive Toy home and even with larger diameter tires (non-dually too) and 4" custom lifted suspension I still choose to go "stupid slow" over washboards so it doesn't unglue & unscrew the Toyhome apart. Sure, that 3/4 ton Dodge pickup w/ a camper gets there faster, but just remember who is WAY more comfortable when they get to their destination! haha

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

You know, it's a funny thing, but... driving a Chevy suburban many miles on washboard once a week, when we worked on the southern edge of the Wallowas in E. Oregon, it drove us nuts going over miles of washboard and 5 mph. It was possibly hell on the suspension, but I tried 35, except on corners and the ride smoothed out immensly. I guess the tires just stayed on the tops and missed the valleys. I don't know if I'd try this in a motorhome though!

Steve

When we drove the Dalton Hiway to Prudhoe Bay Alaska. They invented the washboard.

Try different speeds, yes, speed up a little. We found if we did 5mph, the world would come apart. but if we did 20,, everything smoothed out, different speeds for different washboards.

Make sure the air bags are good (60psi), and the tires are newer (good sidewalls)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Agree w/ Karin on interior not designed for heavy use like this. Myself, glassed lots of brackets to the walls that the cabinets are then attatched to w/ nuts, bolts, and lock washers in some instances.

Washboard:

Nothing can be a bigger pain than washboard that's for sure. Especially when you have miles and miles that need to be traveled. 20mph vs. 5mph over the course of 20 miles is a big difference in time... relative of course to what time means to you in this situation.

I've had lots and lots of things break on my vehicles due to washboard. It and salt are a definite killer. And those guys doing 50 mph are doing as much damage to their car as you are. They're in a more dangerous situation with less contact w/ the road for handling as well. Agree w/ Steve and John that driving a little faster definitely helps. There are probably several thresholds of resonance. Slowest might not be the best, but neither outrageosly fast as well. I'd say the 10-25 mph range would be where I usually drive if had to come up w/ number.

Anyways good luck and arriving in one piece a bit later is better than being stuck halfway there w/ a broken rig for sure.

... and could you please post more pictures of that back rack you've fabricated? Am very curious as to the rest of it not seen in that pic. Nice looking rig btw.

• 1 month later...

Custom back rack. Holds gas can, sewer hose inside main part. Middle storage box can be opened without any interference. Use Yakima bike rack components for horizontal mounting two bikes or use the vertical mounting either side of storage box. I prefer the vertical mounting since neither bike blocks rear window or rear camera.

Since photo added a vertical grab bar that allows me to climb the right side to access roof. Winch on front bumper and removed non operational AC unit on roof.

post-6285-0-46638900-1352597457_thumb.jp

post-6285-0-14341200-1352597605_thumb.jp

1991 Sunrader 21' v6 auto. Looking for WASHBOARD solutions. I live in Boise, Idaho, and everyplace cool to go here in this state requires many miles of washboard.

I can only go 5 mph or less while the 3/4 ton diesel trucks with campers and pulling a trailer whiz past me at 50 mpg. Every screw, bolt and fastener comes loose under these conditions, not to mention it takes me forever to get anywhere.

I have stock dually on 14" wheels with new tires. Is there a solution for reducing the washboard???? I was wondering if a larger diameter wheel and tire will resolve? That would require a gear change on rear diff though?

Besides reducing tire pressure on all four wheels in the rear, is there another idea that can be implemented?

What do you do?

Hey Purplhay! I live in Boise as well..I avoid washboard roads even though a lot of my favorite destinations nearby require taking them..in that case I load up the tent and truck. I just feel like these things are too old to be beating up like that..