Converter manual Carson

bobar

what i have found is that it seems to be strictly a converter. if it has a three way switch, conv., off, battery then that is what you have. from what i have found it does not double as a charger, strictly converts 120 volt to 12 volt. so when on conv. it is converting and all you 12 volt items are running off of it, off is off, battery setting runs all 12 volt off the battery. some here have upgraded to a newer converter/charger and didn't sound too hard nor expensive.

I don't have that particular converter but I do have a 1980 converter that does not have a battery charger built into it. My manual has some good trouble shooting check list in it that would apply to yours as well. So perhaps even without the manual you can figure out what is likely to be the problem by looking at manuals for other converters.

I know that many members of this group would say I should upgrade my converter. Their comments had me very concerned about using my converter so the other day I talked to the RV repair shop about it. They are a large full service RV shop and store They said there is no problem at all with leaving it plugged into an external power source for long periods of time as it does not have a battery charger built into it. They said to keep on using it until the converter dies, that it would be foolish to replace it until then. Therefore I am going to take their very experienced and very practical advise and I won't be replacing it.

I have an external, marine, automated, battery trickle charger installed that takes its power by being plugged into 110 coming out of the converter. I like the idea of having an external charger. If it goes bad I don't have to get the converter serviced.

If your charger is equivalent to the Battery Tender product line you have a better charger than any of the converters you can get for your Toy

vanman

My converter has totally the opposite. All it seems to do is charge the battery. At 3 amps so about twice battery tender juice but still extremely slow.

Nothing plugs in works and it only powers twelve volt through the battery.