Dometic DMC-45 Generator stalls after a few minutes

TheDoverGuppy

We have a 1985 Coachmen. It has a Dometic DMC-45 generator in it. It was running fine, then one day it started to stall once it ran for a few minutes. Once it cools down, it will start right up again.

Have replaced the coil, checked carb, plugs, etc, etc. The only other culprit I can see is potentially the relay, which I can't find anywhere. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks.

Pretty rare fellow think it is the same as a TXP 45 generac. I think they have electronic ign. check to see if it has spark when it quits. Full of oil?

Some engines are very sensitive to oil level as far as low oil shut off protection it might be a good ideal to check it and if it's a touch low fill it to the line.

Actually, I have some local "whiz" guy looking at it. He's taken it apart, checked the compression, changed the oil (so I know the level is good) and all that stuff. He thinks that when the engine gets hot, it's making the relay fail. My only idea is to totally rig it by literally wrapping insulation around it and seeing how that goes.

Only other thing.... just before this happened, I changed the spark plug and air filter, but I would think that it wouldn't start at all if that were an issue. I know the plug is correct and gapped right.

Any other ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

actually tried to insulate the relay switch... but it didn't work. Changed out the plug, new fuel filter, changed the ignition coil, and some other kind of coil thing that I got aftermarket for $60 online. Still won't work, so I'm declaring it dead. I'll start a new thread, but where can I buy a used generator that will work for this beast?

Thanks for the help.

They seem to have issues with the ign. modules here is a forum link that has links to parts and manuals: http://www.myrvguide.com/current_category.181/Forum.48986/offset.5130/forum_thread_full.html?print_page=1