First Camping with Grandson

90toydolphin

The fourth time using our Toy was a short overnight fishing trip with my grandson. It was at a resevoir called McSwain just east of Merced, CA. We hope to take the other grandkids soon also. Sure is nice having all the comforts of home while being out on a lake. I hope you all enjoy your Toy as much as we have, it's quality not quantity that makes it all worthwhile. Although we hope to use it more and more as oportunities present themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ya Baby

Know what you mean about the packing. We are in week 6 of our B.C. to Ontario trip. We packed away too much 'stuff', too many warm clothes (for Van Isle weather only); didn't need any of the camping gear we carry in the back-mounted box as we stayed mainly in Walmart parking lots, or in campgrounds where we stayed only one night. Didn't need the extra cooking gear either. On the Ontario portion of the trip we mostly stayed with relatives in their driveways or yards, although we always slept in our own overcab bed which is very comfortable. And, we are getting very used to being fed by our children, which is nice but sometimes feels like too much!

Although we have enjoyed the visiting, we are looking forward to the return trip which is starting in about two weeks. We still have friends to visit in Wasaga Beach and my brother and his wife in Goulais River (near Sault Ste Marie, Ont.)

Ron & Sue in Toy-Rig (our '92 Winnebago Warrior)

I never had children, so no Grandkids to enjoy myself, but no matter where you go, I am sure it is a treat having them share the experiences with you. With the addition of some drawers, and converting my bathroom to a wardrobe and storage area, I don't have problems with packing anymore. I never used the tiny bathroom in my Toyhome, never found it to be functional for a 6'2" 200 pound guy to shower, and I don’t deal with poop tanks. I travel alone, so since I have to stop anyway to use the bathroom, I just stop somewhere I can do my business. I made the provided small wardrobe cabinet into a pantry as well, so with both areas converted; I now have functional and storage space for most everything I need. I understand, this would not be a solution for everyone, just sharing. Continued happy travels!

I never had children, so no Grandkids to enjoy myself, but no matter where you go, I am sure it is a treat having them share the experiences with you.

Young ones have a habit of needing to use the 'facilities' in the middle of the night, so I can see having them available quite useful.

Young ones have a habit of needing to use the 'facilities' in the middle of the night, so I can see having them available quite useful.

I agree, as I stated, not for everyone, happy travels

I'm not too old now, only 53, but the older I get, I do believe there's a less chance later on I would be staying someplace without full facilities. One's boondocking is usually for the whipper-snapper adventurers. When I do stay overnight at a lake or river somewhere, I do have a small, basic folding portable toilet to take on trips to such an isolated venue. I also have an outside spring metal, pop-up enclosure for a sun shower and to put the toilet in when needed. Both items fold flat and fit neatly and compactly in my storage areas.