Has anyone had any luck with improving low end torque by changing out the camshaft ? I already will be replacing the exhaust system with a less restrictive system (including catalytic converter) and I am not after higher RPM, but more torque would sure help the engine hold a gear on an incline or into a strong headwind.

Regards Keith

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-22R-...103511660QQrdZ1

Good question. I would also be interested in something that gives a bit more oomph at 2-3K. Who cares if you loose something at 5K.

My only concerns would be increased tranny heat issues and mileage.

One other question. Is the 22RE an interference engine? If not, would a diffferent cam make it one?

• 1 month later...

Keith:

Try chancing your dist to a MARRORY UNILITE or something like it. You cand adjuts where you and how much advance (from 16 to 28 deg) and change your coil to one with internal resistor, I think the marrory is 29440 or 29441 with an output of 50kv not the stock 41kv.

Has anyone had any luck with improving low end torque by changing out the camshaft ? I already will be replacing the exhaust system with a less restrictive system (including catalytic converter) and I am not after higher RPM, but more torque would sure help the engine hold a gear on an incline or into a strong headwind.

What I did to get more oomph was to replace the stock air intake/cleaner with a very non restrictive one and to have the ecu (engine control computer) reprogrammed. All in all this added around 30-35 hp to my V-6. I did this while I was in L.A. after purchasing the 91 Sunrader 18' V-6. Took the control computer directly to JET performance in Huntington Beach and they did the reprogramming while I waited (nice folks). The engine is no longer Calif compliant but hey... I don't live in Calif ;-)

Both the intake and computer reprogramming can be purchased from Downey off road racing

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/

The JET web site if you want to read more:

http://www.jetchip.com/products.asp?pid=14...p;model=230#230

If you go with a reprogramming let them know it is for a motor home and you want more low rpm torque/power not high end power.

post-794-1181223598_thumb.jpg

Edited by moosepucky

• 2 weeks later...
how much will I gain with a K&N filter on my '86 22RE?

Can the computer on this model be reprogrammed?

The folks that did the reprogramming said I would see an additional 30-35 hp increase with the programing they did.... BUT this was on a V-6 and the coach would no longer be Calif smog compliant (I don't care... I don't live in Calif).

They also raised the shift points by around 800 rpm which lets the engine wind up a little more before shifting (auto trans)

The computer on your 22RE can be reprogrammed, not sure of the HP increase on a 4 cyl engine but the more mods you make the more improvements a reprogramming will take advantage of. If you are thinking of getting the computer reprogrammed get all of your other mods done before you send it in as they will tune the computer to your engine modifications to optimize everything you have done.

I can say that the difference in performance with the V-6 was very impressive.

Driving back from Calif to the east coast I got between 12 and 16 mpg (depending on up hill or down, into the wind or following the wind) so I don't think that the mileage was greatly effected by the reprogramming. Like anything, if you put your foot into it you will not get good mileage but if you drive like a little old lady you can expect good results :rolleyes:

It does roar and scoot of you give it the peddle....