Finally, my sunrader is home!!!

86rader

I bought my 21 ft 86 sunrader in late january. The prior owners, an extremely nice couple in RI said I could keep it in their driveway until the crappy weather was over. Looks like it finally is, so we picked it up tonight.

I am extremely pleased. It drives better than I could have hoped. It does start feeling a bit unsettled above 70 mph or when tractor trailers pass, but, I really don't intend on seeing the high side of 65 very often and as long as you are aware of the semis, it's not a big deal.

There is one issue that is a bit annoying that I hope to rectify. It is the OD switch. The switch switches, or so says the light on the dash, but, the tranny doesn't obey it very well. It shifts absolutely perfectly, but, no matter what position the switch is in, the tranny shifts into OD. It kicks down flawlessly into 3rd when the throttle is floored, but, there are gonna be those times when climbing a slight grade where OD isn't gonna cut it and keeping it floored isn't an option either. Hopefully, it's just a bad connection at the tranny. I'll do a search to find something.

As for other issues, there is the cruise control that doesn't and I think the engine might be ready for a valve lash adjustment. When winding it out in second gear, it sounds like they are talking to me a bit. There are also a few rear coach lights that are out. Probably a ground thing.

Overall, I think I did OK getting this thing for 5K. It is very nice cosmetically on the outside. Like new on the inside. The only rust I see is a small bit on the driver's side A pillar about half way up it. I think a little sanding and rustoleum should take care of it.

I will see if I can get some pics up tomorrow.

tranny cooler question. I have one. Looks to be about a foot wide by about 10 inches tall and maybe 3/4 of an inch thick. I believe it was installed during it's last trip out west by the previous owner's daughter. She smoked something in the tranny. It was repaired out there and checked by a local guy when they got it home.

After a few days of looking this thing over, I have found a few issues. On the roof I have found a few small cracks in one area near the pasenger side edge of the roof. Looks like someone has applied a thin coat of clear silicon. This may keep water away, but, won't do anything for stopping the cracks from spreading. Is there something that I can put in these cracks to seal them and keep them from worsening.

Also, another issue. I was looking into the driver side wheel well forward of the tire and noticed that the frame shock mount was pressing slightly into the camper body. It doesn't do this on the other side. You can also see the edge of the floor plywood sticking out a bit. This does look like a place where water could get in while driving in the rain.

I would think that injecting foam into the area and patching it over with fiberglass is probably an acceptable fix.

I will post pics when I can.

wheel well pic 1

this picture is just aft of the wheel. what is that on the frame? Looks like something was welded there, then ripped off.

wheel well pic 2

wheel well pic 3

here are a few pics looking under the driver side rear wheel well. You can see the aluminum skin and the plywood behind it which has demaninated a bit in some spots. On the inside of the camper in this spot is the storage area under the bench seat. The power supply and heater are also in this area.

roof cracks

Here is one of of the roof cracks. Is there anything that I can work into these cracks? The previous owner just smeared a little clear silicon over them. Near the center of the roof is a similar crack that has a spider web pattern to it. It looks like there may possibly be some delamination in that spot as it appears to be slightly risen, but, not much.

One other thing. The driver side rear wheel well fairing or shroud or skirt or whatever you call, it is gone. Does anybody make a replacement?

I will get some other pics up showing the nice parts of everything later.

thanks,

pete