Looking for a toyota motor home

Lou

I live in NY state and I hope to travel for part of each year after retiring. Toyotas seem like the only motor home that is affordable, dependable and reasonable to operate (mpg). How might I proceed to find a good Toyota motor home and insure it is in good working order etc. I did some research on the axel and head gasket updates on the v 6.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the board lou. Who is gonna use it? Just you? Wife? Kids/grandkids? If it's just a couple, some like the shorter units around 18 ft as they are a bit lighter, easier to park/drive in tight areas. If you have more than 2 occupants, you probably want something a little bigger with a rear dinette/bed.

There are basically 2 layouts. The rear kitchen/bath and the rear dinette/bed. The rear kitchen/bath models have a somewhat more spacious bath, if you can call anything in a toyhouse spacious. They may be preferable for 1 or 2 people.

As for drivetrains, you have the tried and true bulletproof 22RE 4 cylinder and the maybe not quite as bulletproof v-6. You'll pay a premium for the 6, but, it does move you along better than the 4. From what I've read here mileage really doesn't vary a heck of a lot between the 2.

As for different models/construction, there are quite a few. Dolphins seems pretty numerous. Does this make them better? Don't know. Another popular one is sunrader. Sunraders and a few others use a single piece of fiberglass for everything above the beltline. This is a good thing as it cuts down on the number of places that water can leak in. Water leaks are bad. Real bad! Other models that use the more common fibreglass or aluminum sheathing have numerous seams where water can do it's dirty work. This doesn't mean that you have no worries with a sunrader as there are still vents and AC and windows which can leak.

So, if you have a few extra bucks kicking around and don't want to be passed by bicycles going up hills, get the V-6. If you are in no big hurry or just cheap like me and like the peace of mind that comes with driving the best damn internal combustion engine ever produced, get the 4.

As for trannies, most made after about 84-85 seam to be the toyota 4speed OD automatic. It is an excellent tranny, but, is susceptible to a little heat exhaustion, particularly when driven in hilly areas and not equipped with an external cooler.

Hope this helps. I am still a toyhouse newbie myself, so yoyu should get other replies by folks with way more knowledge than me.

• 1 year later...

Newbie here....this is my first post....

This is the closest thread that I can find that mirrors what I the information that I am looking for, so I am going to bump this up.

I am in the market for a pre-owned motorhome, but I am not sure if the selling prices are fair and what kind of Toy I should focus on.

When I check out NADA RV, it is a complicated process to fill out the options, but it seems as if some of the nicer RV's are way above their blue book values.

I am traveling for 2-3 days at a time and we'll have 2 in our group. However, I want to buy something that can accomodate more as there will be times when I will travel with a larger family.

The most important feature I am looking for is mechanical reliability, which is how I found this site. Even though the 4 cylinders may be more solid than the 6 cylinder, I am going to get the stronger 6.

The engine, powertrain and heating/cooling are critical in terms of not breaking down.

Since I travel a lot in rural areas with limited cell coverage, I need a peace of mind.

I live in So California and the selection of Toys are limited and again, the really nice ones seem overpriced.

Any advice of this first time buyer?

Newbie here....this is my first post....

I live in So California and the selection of Toys are limited and again, the really nice ones seem overpriced.

Any advice of this first time buyer?

Melon: Its supply and demand. These small motorhomes have not been built since 92-93 timeframe. That means that the youngest is now close to 15 years old. The older ones like mine (85/86 model Dolphin) closer to 22 years or more. Considering that the majority of these motorhomes have a coach built from pretty crappy materials, many have passed their usefull life expectation, unless they were very well taken care of. Mine has terminal water damage and the entire coachwork needs to be rebuilt, even though the chassis and cab is still in quite reasonable shape.

So the few good examples out there still fetch a reasonable price (by that I mean around $14-16k). Compared to the alternatives, thats dirt cheap. The 6mpg gas hogs that abound will be costing you a lot of money pretty quickly, even if you can find one in a reasonable condition for a similar price. I would expect around 15mpg overall from the Toyota, more if it is a more rounded composite (late model) version.

The fact of the matter is that most of us are too lazy or incompetent to build something on a later model pick up chassis to make up for the poor selection in the market today. I have the 2008 RV buyers guide sitting on the bedside table and was reading it last night. The least expensive Diesel RV that weighs anything reasonable is one of the Mercedes Sprinter derivatives and will cost over $70k. The smaller ones get 22mpg if you don't have a lead foot. The Cab Chassis alone is $38k at the dealership (new).

I was contemplating going to Texas to find a 2006 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 Cummins diesel (last model year before introduction of the complex aftertreatment systems). There are plenty to be had for $14k with reasonable mileage. I have already priced 1/2" aluminum honeycomb panels, they will run less than $4k for the entire coachwork including all interior partitions, closets, sofa, dinnet etc. And thats without volume discount (what the RV manufacturers would pay) And the resulting coach will weigh less than 25% of the original. The panels can be shaped with a conventional router and carbide blades, but eye protection will be a big deal with the volume of hot aluminium shavings that will be flying around. I am presently working up a design with a shallow inverted V roof (6" of rise) to prevent any water from pooling (one of the major problems with nearly all MH designs) that will be pretty bluff front and back. Then I will make a fiberglass fairing that attaches to the front above the cab to reduce wind noise and drag (similar to what is seen on a lot of box type delivery trucks).

It will be a lot of work but there is nothing comparable on the market. Maybe if I get a lot of enquiries I can start building them full time (depending on my alternatives work wise). First off I will rebuild my old Toyota and see how that goes. I realize that there are a lot of folks out there who would like to keep their Toyotas on the road because of their economy. With a CNC routing machine, it should be no problem providing for a few different floorplans and building them efficiently. The big deal will be re-conditioning the old chassis to the point that it deserves a new coach (air suspension, new seats and trim, brakes, matching wheels etc). With the reduction in weight, the original suspension will probably be a little hard.

I have about $5k in my MH at present including a rebuilt 22RE. I could throw in another $6k and the thing would still be dirt cheap and the coach work brand new at that point. I'm guessing that so long as the gas price stays where its at, the market for these MH's will stay hot and frankly thats like to be as long as I live. From a busines point of view, it may be better catering for newer truck models because the folks with the cash aren't interested in 20 year old RV's, but then sometimes there is money to be made out on the fanatical fringes too...

Regards

Keith

Wow, Keith, thanks for the detailed answer.

I have been very loyal to Toyotas as I have had extremely good luck with their cars. My Camry's tranny is being repaired right now after holding strong for 200k miles and it's engine is still running like new. It is a '95 4 banger and I think that I can keep it for another 100k miles. Plus the AC is ice cold and can run for 10 hours on a long drive without a struggle.

Question: When it comes to the Toyota based motorhomes, can I expect similar longevity with the engine and powertrain? To me, as long as I can have peace of mind towards the mechanical components, I can handle the rest.

Some of the more expensive Toys have mileage under 100k miles and have had their head gaskets fixed under recall.

What makes me a little different than the other enthusiasts here is that I am primarity interested in a motorhome for traveling in comfort on the road. I will be traveling a lot with my dad, who is getting up there is years. At nights, we will be staying in hotels for sleeping, showering and eating out in restaurants... so those related facilites are not that important to me compared to mechanical reliability. This is mostly based on being new to traveling by RV. In time, I might be a hard core hobbyist and just live out of my Toy while traveling. But for now, I am not a DIY and don't want to spend much time on fixing RV outside of routine maintenance- just like with my Camry.

Another question: If I need to replace a part in a '91-'93 coach, are these parts relatively easy to obtain? Or can new parts from today be used for AC/plumbing/electrical/generator/fridge repairs and replacement?

Thanks for any answers that you guys have for me.

I am pretty sure that I am going to buy a well maintained Toy and this site has been helpful.

I just want to make sure that I know what I need to know, before forking over my hard earned cash.

Melon, based on your motives, I think you would be making a mistake buying a Toyota MH. You would be far more comfortable in a Class B MH (Camping Van conversion) and it would have better fuel consumption, power and speed. You may even look at getting a Ford or GM diesel Van which will be less expensive, and easy to maintain (Ford and GM dealers in just about any town).

Driving it, parking it and storing it are all no problem compared to a Toy (will not fit in anything but a purpose built garage). If bathroom facilities are essential, build a closet in the back and install a porta potty.

I would neither pick a toy to live out of nor to use to drive from hotel to hotel. Both of those tasks are better served with a more conventional vehicle.

Regards

Keith

Keith, let me expand....

Trips to Vegas, Monterrey, San Francisco.....scenic drives and sleeping in the hotel.

Trips to Lake Havasu, Yosemite, Baja California, Utah.....sleeping in the motorhome.

Most trips will have 2-3 people, a third of the time we will have 5-6 people.

For business purposes, I will occasionally be entertaining people visiting from overseas and they have expressed interest in spending time traveling in a RV. This will be twice a year for a week each time.

I have considered a converted van like you suggested, but the choices are pretty expensive.

My reasoning is that a toy could be used for both, but a class B cannot be used for both when we have larger parties.

I am interested in something with more versatility and I won't have a problem with parking.

Thanks for your input, I hope you give me some more.

I will seriously consider your advice.

Melon, the Toys are seriously anemic. You have no idea of the meaning of no power till you have driven one. I would personally say they are not suited for more than 2 adults and maybe 1 or 2 light and bendy kids.

My wife and I drove over 4000 miles to Colorado and back (with some detours) and I am not lying to say that 99% of the time I had the gas pedal flat to the floor. Average speed less than 50mph (in some cases I couldn't hold more than 45mph into the wind when it was blowing strong. I passed 1 entire vehicle the entire way. With the engine working that hard, the cab is a pretty loud place. Not any good for conversation while passing the time or listening to the radio.

It was close to 30 hours driving each way (about 1400 miles), which we could have done a lot faster, quieter and with much more comfortable accomodation in just about any reasonable car (like your camry). If it were not for the fact that we were going to live inside that box for the next 2 weeks, I would never consider doing it. Your camry will use half as much fuel (or better) which will pay for some luxuries along the road when doing serious mileage. I have done some tenting and I know the security a "hard tent" brings with summer storms, not to mention being off the ground (rain, bugs etc). I should also mention that the incessant packing and unpacking associated with tenting is good divorce material with most women.

But you don't seem to have tenting on your agenda or staying in unimproved campgrounds, so why bother driving a box around ? I think you seriously need to look up someone with a Toy in your location and go for a drive with them. It will be an eye opener because it is not anything like driving a car, more like a semi with a load of concrete or steel (power to weight and drag ratio)

Not to be negative, but it doesn't sound like a good fit for your application. Maintenance wise the problem is not the basic cab chassis, but the motorhome coachwork and all the systems which are much more maintenance intensive than any ordinary vehicle. The fiberglassed shelled toys are a bit more weather resistant and may hold up better in general, but even they have issues with sealing, especially when big heavy AC's are fitted on the roof and cause it to sag and then leak.

The Dolphins and most of the others are built with tooth picks (small section wooden lumber) and thin siding and are not very robust. Mine is chipboard, which swells and crumbles as soon as it gets wet (note I didn't say "if", I said "when"). Then you can throw it away. It is the most common problem and it is very difficult to know if moisture damage was properly repaired. You need to have a lot of faith in repairs to water damage and that requires knowing the character and skills of the person doing the repairs in detail.

If you would like to speak, send me another PM with your phone number and we can talk.

Keith

More newbies... Hey everybody, An introduction here.. we're not RVers or campers at but hope to contrubute & learn about Toyota 1 ton MH! I think UHAUL has proved the V6/Auto drivetrain is tough! Our vehicle needs are not typical but I have high hopes for the unique Toyota RV. After renting one of UHAUL's "Toyota Movers" about 12 years ago, we could tell this was the way to go. 350 cubic feet of box that drives like a car!! The comfort, turning circle & load handling of this worn out Toyota dually seemed better than a low mileage Ford E350 van we had! Back in yr2000 we special ordered a large topper from Leonard (side doors too) and made our own... as-best-we-could with a Toyota Tacoma ext cab & a tailgate extender. We always wanted a Toyota Mover but UHAUL at the time wouldn't sell them. Fast forward to 2008, UHAUL finally starts selling, they are so beat but running still..we finally had to buy one for $2200.

We going to sell our other pickups and use this UHAUL 10' box but have other plans. We miss 3 passenger ability & reclining seats of the Tacoma.

This is gonna sound strange ya'll....our needs have always been 3 passengers and as much room for the antiques we buy/sell & move. And we want comfy seating for a tall driver, reclining seats and tilt cruise.

We got fed up with USA built vans years ago we had so many (Frod, GM, Chrysler). Bad driving characteristics. We don't like to tow trailers, so that's out too.

After buying this UHAUL, I hit eBay and remembered Toyota MHs and how they were so nice & low miles.

This 1989 UHAUL v6 is rough. We're thinking we really want a lower mileage Toyota with "walkthrough" capability. If they hadn't been made into RVs, these 1 ton trucks would have all but been used up. I think UHAUL has proved how tought the C&C 1 ton really is.

So, I saw a picture of the Mirage's large rear door and inspiration has struck! We want to one day get a Toyota MH, remove extra things like cabinetry and kitchen and use it as a 3 passenger moving van.

Now, we will want to install a large door somewhere on the vehicle.

I wanted to learn from the community what coach make would best lend itself to this type of conversion? Sunrader fiberglass or a Tradesman wood & aluminum?

I think we'll be able to do with a 22RE/Auto, I really like that engine.

Sorry for the long post, but I this idea is exciting to me after so many vehicles we been unhappy/ or restricted with.

Ok reading Keith makes some good points, but driving this 18ft long UHAUL truck is easier that any other truck/van that could even come close in volume. But we want something with a nicer cab & lower miles. I think we can find eon eventually for under $4500 and we won't mind ruining it's RV value if we keep it forever.

Our antiques are pretty light, can't a decent stick built aluminum box manage if we lighten the load?

Best Regards to all,

Early / toyotavan

Keith, that was an eye opener of a post. You may have saved me from making a mistake.

I have rented 20 ft Class C RV's before for trips to Yosemite and power never seemed to be an issue. I just assumed that a 6 cylinder Toy would be similar.

The driving experience that you described is something that would leave me very unsatisfied, and no, tenting is not in my plans.

My weakness is that I really like Toyotos as all of mine have been bullet proof under the hood.

I considered buying an 8 cylinder Tundra and put a hard top camper (like a very small Northern Lite) on it, solving the power aspect. But the payload on a half ton Tundra is only about 1500 lbs and after adding the weight of the people and the camper weight, the choices are slim. Even so, that is my best bet but not quite giving me what I am looking for.

I appreciate your candor, anything you have to share with me is much appreciated.

Is there such thing as a good, reliable Class B motorhome for under $20k? If not, how much do I need to pay if I need a peace of mind with the the realiability under the hood? I have read reviews on Class B motorhomes and a lot of customers have paid more and have been less than thrilled.

Thanks again, for your advice.

Sorry to interrupt but I was laughing at the "no power" comment a few posts back, and only passing one vehicle on the whole trip (I assume that is counting wheelchairs too), well I had a similar experience and actually took a picture of the one vehicle I managed to pass LMAO.

post-1272-1210181754_thumb.jpg

To All,

I bought the first small motorhome I came across, it happened to be a 1983 Toyota Sunrader 21 footer. I didn't even know there was a MH on a Toyota chassis. I didn't care about gas mileage, dependability, or anything else. I didn't even know about the axle problem (mine had been updated). All I knew was that I wanted a small MH that could be driven like a van, and class B's don't even come close to being as comfortable as the Toyota micro mini's.

I can drive my Sunrader all day without being tired, and I do love to drive it. It has the 4 cylinder 22R, 4 speed stick transmission and it has all of the torque and power that I need. I don't need it to pull a toad (towed vehicle) because I can drive this anywhere. Mountains don't phase me, even though I've had to slow down to 45mph on steep slopes (the Rockies may be tougher).

If you see a Toyota motorhome that looks nice and clean, then it's internals are probably in the same condition. Don't hesitate, just buy it, wood rot, etc can be fixed and a lot cheaper if you learn to do it yourself. I read over and over how so many people missed out on a great buy because they hesitated because of power or something else. I have owned a larger V8 powered class C and my present little jewel surpasses it in every way, plus I don't hesitate to put her on the road, she's dependable!

Attached is a picture of the dashboard of my 6000 lb, 4 cyl motorhome going down I81 in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia on level ground, the pedal was not to the floor. This was a one time deal keeping up with traffic, I then slowed down to my normal 70 mph range with still getting 16mpg.

Don't be afraid of the Toyota, you can't go wrong.

Allen

post-481-1210191618_thumb.jpg

post-481-1210191668_thumb.jpg

Allen, I'm sure the Sunraders are the best of the bunch. I had a handfull of circumstances where I managed to get mine wound up too, but the comment on the average speed is accurate. I don't know for sure, but I think the Dolphins are the heaviest with the chipboard construction. I drained all the tanks (including freshwater) for the long stretches to keep the weight down as much as possible.

Owning any vehicle is a matter of choice, based on the way you intend to use it. I certainly can't see 5-6 people travelling comfortably in a Toy under any circumstances. Realistically, I know that my Dolphin is a compromise and I live with it because I can't afford a new motorhome (or I should say thats not how I choose to spend my money..). Neither do I want to drive a 6mpg gas hog. But there is no doubt that an equivalent size motorhome built on the chassis of a Cummins powered Dodge Ram would be equally fuel efficient and far more capable (in the power and torque dept).

Unfortunately, Toyota have great diesel pickups but have chosen not to sell them here in the US. American consumers are really missing out because of lack of choices and competion in the market. Dealing with 20 year old vehicles is not for everyone. The example of trying to find replacement 6 lug wheels being a good case study.

Melon, there are lots of people who visit this forum that have many more miles on their toys odo than me, but I think that every one of them has to accept the limitations of their vehicles in order to love them.

The class C's you would have rented typically have 6.0l plus V8 engines.. My Dolphin has a 2.2l engine, big difference there. They are built in a similar manner and have similar amenities, with the primary difference in the size of the cab (look how much wider the coach is compared to the cab of the Toy). The first thing you learn with a Dolphin is to duck when you get out, to avoid hitting your head on the overhanging bunk bed on the side of the cab. Compared to my 2005 Dodge Ram truck, the cab of the Toy is really cramped, both left to right and in the vertical dimension.

Allen has a manual transmission, which would be a fair bit more efficient than the automatic in mine, so that way gains a few more hp and of course total control over shifting (although 99% of americans would't think that is an advantage). It will also not have the big oil cooler on the front of the truck for the transmission so less heat to shed and thus an easier deal to keep the engine cool. I'm betting that not too many toy MH's were sold with the manual tranny though. My Dodge has a 6 speed manual tranny, how cool is that ? I drove the 4000 miles with the Dolphin on the last trip with 3 gears for all but 300 miles of the total distance.... As far as I know, 3rd gear on the auto is 1:1 whereas 4th on the manual is 1:1. What that usually means is closer ratios on the 4 speed which helps avoid losing too much momentum on grades.

The best advice remains, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY !

Keith

Keith, that was an eye opener of a post. You may have saved me from making a mistake.

I have rented 20 ft Class C RV's before for trips to Yosemite and power never seemed to be an issue. I just assumed that a 6 cylinder Toy would be similar.

The driving experience that you described is something that would leave me very unsatisfied, and no, tenting is not in my plans.

My weakness is that I really like Toyotos as all of mine have been bullet proof under the hood.

I considered buying an 8 cylinder Tundra and put a hard top camper (like a very small Northern Lite) on it, solving the power aspect. But the payload on a half ton Tundra is only about 1500 lbs and after adding the weight of the people and the camper weight, the choices are slim. Even so, that is my best bet but not quite giving me what I am looking for.

I appreciate your candor, anything you have to share with me is much appreciated.

Is there such thing as a good, reliable Class B motorhome for under $20k? If not, how much do I need to pay if I need a peace of mind with the the realiability under the hood? I have read reviews on Class B motorhomes and a lot of customers have paid more and have been less than thrilled.

Thanks again, for your advice.

Such contrasting opinions about necessary power & speed. Here on the east coast it's pretty flat, but I'm worried about that need to floor it on I95 going to DC. Maybe a touch of NOS when needed. Does the 22RE late 80s version solve any power problems? A new question too, perhaps this should be in a new thread -- but who made the best coach? Sunrader, Dolphin, Itasca, (coachman looked cheap I could see) etc?? Did anybody use real marine plywood. I often think too bad Airstream didn't build on Toyota C&Cs! Is there a king of the hill? I'm planning on buying one this year I'm made dizzy by so many different makes. I guess like the "attic" (as it's called by UHAUL) on the truck. It gives a strange sense of well being too me, as well as a sunvisor effect I believe.

Best to all, toyotavan

I'm not sure why some of you are having problems with engine power.My V6 can go down the road at 70 all day long passing cars and going up hill no problem.Plenty of power,I'm an old hot rodder and have done a few upgrades like exhaust ,K&N airfilter along with a head job.I dont use the overdrive around here because of the hills, and still get around 15 to 17 miles to the gallon.Maybe its time to do some upgrades,you guys will see the difference.As far as which is the better built,I might be bias but Winnebago is known for making the best motorhomes.My motorhome is very solid I am 220lbs. and have been on the roof walked all around and it is like walking on the sidewalk.The best ones to get are the ones with flat fiberglass outer panels.Mine has never leaked and you dont have to worry about a bunch of seams.If you get a Toy, get a V6, 1 ton,with a smooth fiberglass body.Do a few engine upgrades and you'll do fine.

Toyotavan,

I think Keitholivier has the best advice, "to try before you buy". If you see a Toyota for sale that looks good, see if you can test drive it. After a test drive you may be surprised how well they drive or if you had something else in mind, entirely disgusted. The guy I bought mine from wouldn't take my money until I did test drive it, and he wanted me to drive on a busy street with lots of traffic lights, a winding country road with plenty of hills and a Walmart parking lot. I was already sold but was really enthusiastic after driving it. I kept trying to give him the money but he kept telling me all that it had on it, especially the 1 ton axle which didn't mean anything to me at the time. At least you are doing research on potential problems, etc.

I did test drive one other small motorhome that I saw on the internet and it looked great. It was a Winnebago LeSharo 4 cylinder Renault Turbo Diesel. It vibrated like crazy and smelled of diesel fuel while going down the road. I couldn't wait to get out of it. That's why I was probably very pleasantly surprised by the Sunrader.

I don't know if you can hold one brand up to another for quality, etc, after 20 to 30+ years they are all going to have some issues. The Dolphins , in my opinion, have the nicest interiors, but I've seen pictures os some nice looking rigs (I check out eBay, RVs, Toyota) everyday just to get an idea of what the different Toyotas look like and maybe get an idea of what I could do to mine. A lot of people like the Sunrader, but you can get water leaks, my whole interior was replaced...Why? I didn't ask. The Sunrader, I think, weighs more than the other motorhomes. So there are pros and cons with every rig out there. It's usually just personal choice, or in my case, it was there when I had the money.

A Toyota usually don't hang around very long when they're for sale. I was sitting in a hospital parking lot one day while my wife was undergoing a day long battery of tests. A doctor came by and started asking all kind of questions about the Sunrader which cultimated in a tour (I've given many tours of the Sunrader). He was very impressed that I was parked in an ordinary parking space. He asked where he could buy one. After explaining that they were no longer being made and used ones were the only ones available, I told him that I had just seen a guy park an 87 Dolphin in his front yard about 3 blocks from the hospital with a $7500 OBO price on it, the doctor took off. About an hour later he pulled up beside me in his "new" Dolphin. When he got to the man's house another guy was looking at it. The doctor made his bid and got it for $8000, and it was a nice motorhome. I spent the next hour showing him how things worked. The doctor got what he wanted (something he didn't know existed 2 hours before), but probably missed out on a golf date or an important operation. I think he could have gotten one of the giant motorhomes but he liked the little Toyotas.

Don't be worried about the DC and I95 thing, I live 30 miles from downtown DC and travel all of the roads around here including I95 and I have never had a problem. Besides it don't take a lot of power to drive these roads. I haven't burned any rubber at traffic lights yet, but that's proabably because I just don't want to wear my tires out :D.

Allen

My limited experience was based on driving out west into a strong headwind for over 1000 miles. In Colorado the foothills are at 6000 ft and the power is already reduced by about 19%. The mountain passes are over 10 000ft for more than a 30% drop in power, not to mention how steep some of those climbs are.

Saw this on another forum: http://www.rv-coach.com/current_category.1...hread_full.html

Re: Toyota 22R vs V6, power, gas milage eric 7-27-05

I've got an '83 with a 4 cyl- 4 speed, sure it's a slug....but it's a little truck hauling a big load. Straight to the point....you're on vacation....who cares how fast it goes? Just put along at 55, enjoy the scenery. I personally like the 4 cyl, wouldn't mind a 5th gear though to let the engine spin at a lower rpm. Off point....my uncle looked at mine and said "it looks like a doghouse humping a chiuaha".

Yes the 22R engine in the Sunrader is underpowered, but very addictive, I drive mine just about everywhere now and my wife and I love it. We mostly notice the lack of power on steep hills, around town it is fine. I also agree with the "Yoda homes" being easy to drive, park, repair etc. And as some one pointed out when on vacation, who is in a hurry anyway?

Hi toyohomme (sorry if incorrect sp. ),

I think we have a bit of that devil-may-care care buying streak that so many motorheads have. We buy too often the first thing that turns up. I'm going to really try to hold off this time for a great deal with low miles & a tired interior perhaps. That said, if that Dolphin was around the corner I believe we would pull that doctor's move!

Anyway my dad believed this would be the case & agrees with just as you said regarding adequate engine power on I95. I think we'll try for a 22RE. I think the 4cy bay should allow for upgrades nicely if we ever had the money. I vaguely recall in reading of a 600hp 22R?!

Our current truck is the 1989 Uhaul V6 (4000lbs, 6k GVW) as I mentioned. This is truly the abused cousin of the RVs. Our specimen has 200k rental miles + 13k as a newspaper delivery vehicle. We bought it, and drove it home through a few mountains so of C'ville and actually made it. I've got to figure out what's going on with thattrans and/or ECT button, but that's for another thread. There is no other plain old box truck that you can zip in a car space with like this Uhaul. What's funny is we had to pay $2200 - wish we had put that sum towards a MH. I get the impression that these Toys were really Uhaul's cash cow and simply hit mandatory retirement. They are quite shrewd when it comes to their trucks.

Anyway, back to the coach builders. I really get the picture regarding old age & common problems. I am coming to understand the fiberglass shell maybe won't be as good for us. I think maybe Itasca's smooth panel build maybe better. Any idea who made the lightest MH coach body? I think 21ft would be as long as we'll want as our Uhaul is just 18ft or so.

And here's a tall persons want -- does the Sunrader, Dolphin or any others allow the drivers side seat to recline back far? That would be great for a quick rest area snooze!

Thanks again, toyotavan

Sorry, but you're not going to get the ability to recline very much in the Toy front seats. You can pull the seats forward as far as they can go and then recline them a little. At rest stops I have been known to just pop back into the cabin and stretch out on the sofa (when I'm traveling alone). I have also napped in the front seat and I'm around 6 ft, and it was ok, especially if you're tired enough.

Allen

love the story about the doctor dropping 8 grand instead of 7500... or less...

1.I love the idea of a Doctor getting ripped a new one with no anesthetic.

2.If a dr can afford most anything they want... i like the idea of one buying a toyota camper.

I think there is just something about these toyota campers that instantly appeals to certain people... i knew instantly that i really wanted one, love at first sight...

i didnt buy the first one i saw ....

maybe i should have waited for a lower mileage or newer one but... I am very happy so far...

my friends acted like i was nuts when i first bought the dolphin.... now they want to come take a trip in it...

i have already started gutting the cab in prep to re panel and fix the sticks so to speak...

So far my biggest problem is a few leaks in the roof... i may need new vents!!!

Hello everybody, texastoy's comment about roof strength is impressive. I wouldn't have guessed it as our current box relies on pretty distantly spaced ribs. It is all aluminum, very strong otherwise at the edges.

Quite fooled by the seats. I've been intensely window shopping eBay, studying every picture with detail. I can see most mid eightes & later trucks have the really nice recliner handles on the chairs.

And it seems every coach builder cut in to the truck cab a little differently. Some makes you can see a direct impediment (couch, bed etc), while others appear to have some room. There seems to be a step down, into the cab from the back (a plinth) - does this prevent from reclining an otherwise unblocked seat back (like a passenger seat)?

I ask further because, my father is 6' 6, and he can squeeze into a standard pre 95 Toyota cab. Our current 97 ext cab Tacoma gives better, normal car like comfort. He likes to recline whenever he can and is not springy enough (these days) to hop in back (or get out & up door stairs) for only a 10-20min stop. Toyota pickup / HiLux seats are hard, but we've always found them to be super comfortable on long rides. Our larger 97 T100 (pre Tundra) has americanized "overstuffed" seats that should be great but are not.

The early 90's cabs look soo00 nice. To me, classic creature comforts like tilt, cruise, regular Auto on column, while lacking the extra electrical stuff like PW, PL, power mirrors -- that's a great mix.

Thanks to everyone, I'm learning with all the help.....new to RVs in general also,

toyotavan

I own a 22RE automatic and yes there is not too much out there you are going to win a drag race with (maybe a loaded semi) but so what. It climbs hills and runs 65 all day (I go to Canada at least 3 times a year no problem) It is a great camper for 2 people, 3 adults in one becomes a crowd real fast can be done but you all better be good friends. It has all the stuff a big one has, shower, heat, a/c, hot water, cook stove just on a smaller scale. Mine has room to sleep 5 people (it’s the good friends ideal again) but consider a rainy weekend that will grow old fast some one will have to sit down before the other can pass. So if it’s you and a friend maybe a kid or two they are great fun just take your time and enjoy!