Sunrader cruise control won't work

perry mason

Hi, My Sunrader is an '84 Toyota 22R with a vacuum style cruise control. Nothing happens at all when I try to use it. Is there a trouble shooting procedure? Fuse is good and there's 12v to the controller on the steering column and the vacuum box. It's a black plastic box which looks like it gets it's vacuum from some complex looking valve on the passenger side of the manifold. Any starting point would be appreciated. I'm using a stick to hold the gas pedal down right now, which is getting pretty old. Thanks again, pm.

Hi, My Sunrader is an '84 Toyota 22R with a vacuum style cruise control. Nothing happens at all when I try to use it. Is there a trouble shooting procedure? Fuse is good and there's 12v to the controller on the steering column and the vacuum box. It's a black plastic box which looks like it gets it's vacuum from some complex looking valve on the passenger side of the manifold. Any starting point would be appreciated. I'm using a stick to hold the gas pedal down right now, which is getting pretty old. Thanks again, pm.

to save myself from looking it up and reposting it try Yotatech- it has been covered there before.

all things Toyota there, because your RV is just a Toyota with an extra big camper

You may have problems with the vacuum cruise control. The gas pedal is often on the floor and therefore no vacuum. Since you have it, try it. but if you wind up replacing it, get one with an electric servo rather than the vacuum servo.

Generally, make sure the brake switch wire is made properly. These sometimes depend on seeing a small resistance to ground (the light bulb filament) to work, then 12 volts (brake light on) to disconnect.

If they don't see the resistance to ground, they may not work.

ALSO - Speed sense - Some of the aftermarket units had a magnet that you would attach to the drive shaft, then mount a sensor to see the magnet. If the magnet is missing or the sensor is damaged or not adjusted, this will also keep it from working.

Good luck

John Mc

\88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I have a stock cruise control on mine and I don't bother using it. We have a lot of short steep hills around here and I usually end up doing about 30 mph at the top in second gear. I have an auto trans and wish I had a 4 speed stick.