Hi,

I've got a problem with my cruise control quitting. I have a 1991 Dolpin V-6 and the cruise control works fine for awhile then stops when the brake light comes on. I continue driving with no cruise and eventually the brake light will go off and the cruise will work again. Also when the light is on and cruise not working I can stop and turn the engine off and when started back up the brake light will be off and the cruise will work again, for a unown amount of time. Has anyone any idea's how to remedy this? Thanks in advance!

Bob

Your brake light coming on is a sign of a problem.

Check the brake fluid level, Toyotas have a float sensor in the fluid reservoir and the brake light will come on if the fluid gets low. (very common problem)

Also check the parking brake switch and handle, if the parking brake handle isn't fully in, it could turn on the brake light.

There is a differential pressure switch between the front and rear brake lines. if this switch sensor a large pressure difference between the front and rear brake lines, it will turn on the light. (This could be a problem with the master cylinder, or brakes on the rear worn way down, and not adjusting properly, OR any number of other hydraulic problems.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I agree that the brake fluid level is probably your problem. It took me a while to figure that out with my 83 Toyota pickup.

Thanks Waiter & Bob C. for the quick reply. I added a little brake fluid but will have to wait for better weather to take it on the highway to confirm it's the problem.

Bob