Radio replacement

90toydolphin

i posted this on the forum page but didn't show up under new topics, sorry if becomes a duplicate. i have a 1989 and want to replace the radio. when searching for how to remove the radio i found that all the bottom half of the dash needs to come off and the heat/air controls. is there an easier way or do i just start pulling it apart and hope i can find all the clips that break? any help would be helpful.

i posted this on the forum page but didn't show up under new topics, sorry if becomes a duplicate. i have a 1989 and want to replace the radio. when searching for how to remove the radio i found that all the bottom half of the dash needs to come off and the heat/air controls. is there an easier way or do i just start pulling it apart and hope i can find all the clips that break? any help would be helpful.

A factory service manual for the 1989 pickup should have all the details. I installed a few stereos and you are right to worry, that old plastic snaps easily.

GK

• 2 months later...

i got it done, was surprised that the old plastic didn't fall apart, didn't have to replace any connectors. my biggest problem was that the original had been changed out prior and some changes had already been made so one was supposed to fit without hassle didn't fit real well without some tweaking, cutting, grinding, reconnecting wires and holding my mouth just right and crossing my fingers. so needless to say took a little longer than i hoped but not too bad. with a little plumbers tape and few extra bolts and nuts from my collection it got done and looks factory.