This has been on my mind since the first trip with my Sunrader five years ago. Mostly tired of holding up traffic climbing hills and on mountain roads, my Toy has a few problems that need attention very soon and looking at the cost of upcoming repairs brought me close enough to jump into the swap. No turning back now, I bought a salvage wrecked '01 Camaro with a Buick V6 and a 5 speed manual transmission from an S10. This should be an easier fit than most other choices but time will tell. I'll take progress pictures and post them along the way.

Seamus McShank

Derek,

You're right, the S10 has a low 1st gear, plus the shifter lines up into a Toyota cab about the same as an S10 cab. A T5 from a Camaro would have the shifter at the end of the tailcone and would be too far back to comfortably reach.

Seamus

• 3 weeks later...

Been much too busy with work to get anything done in the past few weeks. Engine and trans are out of the doner car and although I bought a 5 speed manual we may take the easier route and keep the automatic that came with it. Hope to get the 22RE and trans out next weekend.

Seamus

• 1 month later...

Kweerone,

No outcome yet. Most of the delay is due to loosing the mechanic and his garage space who first wanted to do the swap. With work I only have weekends free. I now have found someone who specializes in swaps, rat rods and trikes. There is one clearance issue not anticipated, namely the throttle body on this version of the Buick V6 extends out from the manifold too far to clear the radiator shroud. Considering remote mount slightly off to the side and some fabrication to connect. Also looking into compatible intakes from other years. One great piece of news is that upon close inspection the motor I got out of the wreck is a genuine GM rebuild with an id tag dated 2/15/11, practically brand new. If we get over the throttle body issue actual swap could start in two weeks and take about that long to complete. Gotta hurry up because summer is when we get the most time off to get on the road.

Seamus McShank

Kweerone,

No outcome yet. Most of the delay is due to loosing the mechanic and his garage space who first wanted to do the swap. With work I only have weekends free. I now have found someone who specializes in swaps, rat rods and trikes. There is one clearance issue not anticipated, namely the throttle body on this version of the Buick V6 extends out from the manifold too far to clear the radiator shroud. Considering remote mount slightly off to the side and some fabrication to connect. Also looking into compatible intakes from other years. One great piece of news is that upon close inspection the motor I got out of the wreck is a genuine GM rebuild with an id tag dated 2/15/11, practically brand new. If we get over the throttle body issue actual swap could start in two weeks and take about that long to complete. Gotta hurry up because summer is when we get the most time off to get on the road.

Seamus McShank

Sounds like you did really well on that engine... I hope it all works out. Keep us posted..

• 2 weeks later...

One week morphs into two weeks real easy. The Toyota parts are out (ad on Craig's list) and the V6/trans is sitting in place, not mounted yet just dry fit. Length of the drive shaft looks like a match, have to change cv nuckle. Mounts being made by Monday, exhaust after that Have to swap the mounting position of the alternator and ac compressor for ac lines but not very difficult. There's more room than I had imagined. I don't have any good pictures yet but will before this week is done. Possibility it will drive by the Saturday (but one week can morph into two).

Seamus McShank

• 2 weeks later...

We've had July heat in May so things are inching along slowly. Mounts are complete, compartment is undercoated and painted. Engine/trans will be mounted today, then exhaust, intake and connections can begin. I'll post updated pics later.

Seamus McShank

post-1068-0-41453200-1337875619_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

More months have gone by and the temps have been breaking records, 116 yesterday. It has only gotten a few hours of attention a week but we are close to getting it back on the road. Fired up last weekend but still have a short list of items that have to be done; shift linkage, mount radiator fan and wire it up, find a replacement coil pack bracket that got broken, idle air. We've gone back to all 2001 components, throttle body, electric throttle pedal. The computer shuts down after 15 seconds because of theft prevention that needs to be circumvented. This has been a long journey but the end it near. I'll get pictures once my Sunrader is back at home.

Seamus McShank

thats crazy.

you know I have a 96 camaro, its actually my exes but Im supposed to fix it up and sell it.

v6 3.8 ( so... its bigger than yours) and this thing gets worse gas mileage than my toyhome.

Definitely does haul behind though I wont deny it. perfectly stable at speed too.

Ive got a bmw thats fun in twisty turns, and a camaro thats fun on freeway offramps.

Stamar,

The engine from the Camaro is a '01 3800 Series II, they ran these from '97 to '02 in RWD for Camaro and Firebird only, the rest were FWD. I will know the MPG after a few trips but the Series II lists a 20% increase over the '96 in mileage, horsepower and torque, and the one I found has less than 10K miles on a GM factory rebuild. I hope this gives me reasonable mileage for power gained.

McShank

ya its a different engine than I have. I just happen t park my ty home next to a camaro that has sit for years every day.

ive goot the big 6. they usually have 2 sizes of 6.

the body looks the same i believe though.

i wont even debate it but I have always found american cars to perform way worse than any of their numbers.

Ive got the camaro and Ive run it pretty hard against my bmw with less power and it gets toasted unless its a complete straight. its gas mileage is also so bad its remarkable.

its got the kind of gas guage that disapears a quarter tank at a time.

It gets worse gas mileage than an 05 ford f150 with a v8. meaning like 15 on the freeway.

f the 4 vehicles here it just never gets road time. 2 people both of us drive the truck first because its newer, rv because its an rv.... bmw cause its actually economical and a convertible if its sunny....

camaro.... never. Its fun to drive though it just loses out.