Hi everybody!!

JesusLovesYou

Hello my brothers and sisters in Toyota =)

I've had the itch for about 6 months now and I finally scratched it! I bought a 1978 Dolphin.... 20R. Manual trans, ODO reading 36XXX(from what the guy said, it sat at his mother in laws for almost 10 years, so at most 136XXX) It's in good mechanical order and everything works( I cant figure out how to work the fridge though) so I'm really happy.

It's only an inch or 2 over 16 feet... so I have a good feeling i'll be getting well over 20MPG in it...

A few questions though... may as well ask here and not start another thread.

OK, so it isnt a dually... but since it's so short I should be ok right? I know under 18 is recall exempt, but just put me at ease again lol... and my other question is about the 2 switches. I believe 1 is for the water pump... it's located right next to the sink. But then there is another by the back door, dead center and to the right. The previous owner said it's for an outside light? Does that sound right?? I'll take pictures and throw them up tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. I love this place... you guys rock. I've been lurking for awhile ;)

Kory/So Cal

Edited by JesusLovesYou

Good morning Kory,

Congrats on your Dolphin!

36,000 or 136,000 doesn't really matter, these old Toyotas will run 200,000 or 300,000 miles with few problems. You're more likely to find problems from sitting inactive for 10 years.

You're OK with the axle recall. But I think 20 MPG might be a little optimistic.

The fridge is most likely dead.

I'd say switch #1 is likely for the waterpump as you have already concluded, and switch #2 is likely the outside light. You'll probably find corrosion around the bulb when you disassemble the light fixture.

Lets see some photos!

With these motorhomes it is not the length that kills your gas mileage, it is the frontal area. Just imagine pushing an 8 ft tall, 7 1/2 ft wide barn door everywhere. That is the reality of a Toyota Motorhome. You should get at least 15 - 16 mpg at least if you drive carefully. My 20' Escaper gets about 16 if I am really carefull.

Thank you Mulwyk!

About the miles, that was my train of thought when buying...

The inside had no carpet in the cab, but that's fine I have some laying around and i've done that job pleanty of times. Theres a little dry rot in the corner of the cab, no biggie there though. Everything works so far except the fridge(then again it's parked in my back yard and just might not be level). Oh and it has no shower, just a camode.

I drove it home from Azuza CA (near LA) to San Bernardino, which google map has at 40 miles distance. I used about 2 and a half gallons and I drove it pretty darn fast. After about 10 miles the engine warmed up or something, cause all the sudden I had more power... I was like right on and I drove 60 (60+ on decline) the whole way. I only did that because my buddy was tailing me so no cops could get behind me, and yea, I was trying to get him home quick but also not wear the new girl out too bad.... she did fine though =)

About the pics, i'm painting her right now. Give me 2 more days and i'll have some good picture for you guys.

• 5 months later...

Welcome Kory, I am a newer member as well, and missed your post when I joined a few months ago. I too am originally from SoCal, born in Pomona, lived mostly in Huntington Beach. I am a Mid-Westerner by location, but will always have Cali in my heart as home. I hope you are enjoying your Toy and travels!