my new toy

85dolph

1985 dolphin, not sure but I think it's a 500, 22re w/ac. Dinette in back, Can/shower behind driver.

Pretty basic but the appliances work on propane. I have yet to test on shore power And I'm hesitant to try them on coach power. It looks as though the previous owner wired up two 12v deep cycle batteries in series for the coach power. The 12v appliance outlet is dead so I at least need to rewire that. I have no idea why that would be, and any advice would be appreciated. It has a progressive dynamics pd 4600 3 stage converter recently installed.

There's some minor water damage in a couple of places. and a small crack in the roof seal, but otherwise it looks sound.

My plan is to replace the rotted stuff and insulation in the over cab sleeping berth, replace the bathroom walls with greenboard and hdpe, Replace the cabin headliner in a few spots if not entirely, replace the cabin lights (1141) with l.e.d. lights. Most likely I'll remove the upper cabinetry and replace it with something large enough to accommodate a small tv and a small microwave. Also plan on installing a power capacitor, 230w mono amp, and a 10in. dual voice coil mtx sub with ported enclosure. If I have the cash possibly a second multi channel amp for a set of 4.25in. and 4x10in. 8ohm speakers I have sitting around. I'm guessing that's about all I'll have time to do before my first major trip in May.

Beyond that, I have thoughts of building a "carputer" for it Either in a standard atx case or a custom enclosure depending on space needs. Use it for a wifi hub, entertainment center, gps, possibly integrate it into power management and tank monitors, as well as live engine diagnostics. Oh yeah, rear view camera system is kind of a must I think, so I'll tie it in to the computer when I build that, and just go lower tech for the moment. It would be really awesome to mount a time lapse camera to the front to document the journey.

I've only had it for a few weeks but I'm already in love. My goals might be a bit much, and depending on what I find as I go along, I may need to dial it back. Or if things are easy I'm going all out. I love camping and I hate spending money on gas so me and a toyhome seems like a match made in heaven.

I just posted pics of it in the gallery.

Welcome to the forums;

Sounds like you have some good plans for the Toyhouse.

Many of these deep cycle golf cart batteries are 6 volt, so if they are wired in series, they may actually be 12 volts.

First thing you'll need is a good / inexpensive Volt Ohm Meter. $20 should get you a reasonably good digital one. Learn how to use it on DC and AC

I'd also like to do a Carputer - Who's software were you looking at?

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

You and I have identical Toyhomes, right down to the upholstery pattern. I've had mine for about 15 years and have done a lot of rebuilding and repair. Most of the work involved rot repair in the overhead bunk, both wheel well areas and the rear wall from the big window down to the bottom. Looks like yours might be in better shape than mine was, although if I had jumped on the repairs when I got it, the work wouldn't have been quite so extensive. The last major job on mine will be removing and replacing the entire roof, including the framing and outside metal, though that'll have to wait until late Spring. Montana Winters make it tough to work outside since epoxy, paint and, mostly fingers, don't work like they should. I've posted lots of pictures on the toyota-campers@yahoogroups.com website if you're interested. They're under 85 DOLPHIN REBUILD in the photos section. Good luck with yours and keep posting those pictures.

John

As far as the front end for an in car computer, I was thinking of using Centrafuse. I Found an older version out in the land of torrents and it seems to run well.