tn_gallery_4940_311_770410.jpg

Here's a quick summary of the door building procedure. The picture shows the inside of a typical cabinet door.

(1) Make redwood frames. I use simple glue and biscuit joints (yellow carpenters glue and #10 biscuits). Back in the day, I used dowels for these joints, but biscuits are much faster if you buy or have access to a biscuit jointer. The frames are made 3/4" to 1" wider than the door openings. After the glue sets, round over the outside and inside edges on one side (the side that will be visible on the finished door...use a router and 3/8" radius bit.

(2) Cut a piece of 1/4" birch plywood and a piece of cane (get cane on eBay). Cut them roughly the same size as the redwood frames. Set the cane aside for a moment. Temporarily nail the plywood panel to the redwood frame. Using a trimming bit in the router, cut the interior hole in the plywood panel (the trim bit will follow the exact shape of the redwood frame).

(3) Remove the plywood from the redwood frame. Soak the cane in warm water for an hour or so. Then apply glue to the plywood and the redwood frame and make a sandwich...redwood, cane, plywood. Nail the sandwich together with plenty of 3/4" brads. The cane will tighten as it drys.

(4) Finally, cut a recess (rabbitt) around the outside of the door, sand 60, varnish, sand 100, varnish, sand 220, varnish. Hand sanding is fine, tack cloth before varnish. Spar varnish gives the best color. Use self-closing, recessed type hinges.

tn_gallery_4940_311_770410.jpg

Here's a quick summary of the door building procedure. The picture shows the inside of a typical cabinet door.

(1) Make redwood frames. I use simple glue and biscuit joints (yellow carpenters glue and #10 biscuits). Back in the day, I used dowels for these joints, but biscuits are much faster if you buy or have access to a biscuit jointer. The frames are made 3/4" to 1" wider than the door openings. After the glue sets, round over the outside and inside edges on one side (the side that will be visible on the finished door...use a router and 3/8" radius bit.

(2) Cut a piece of 1/4" birch plywood and a piece of cane (get cane on eBay). Cut them roughly the same size as the redwood frames. Set the cane aside for a moment. Temporarily nail the plywood panel to the redwood frame. Using a trimming bit in the router, cut the interior hole in the plywood panel (the trim bit will follow the exact shape of the redwood frame).

(3) Remove the plywood from the redwood frame. Soak the cane in warm water for an hour or so. Then apply glue to the plywood and the redwood frame and make a sandwich...redwood, cane, plywood. Nail the sandwich together with plenty of 3/4" brads. The cane will tighten as it drys.

(4) Finally, cut a recess (rabbitt) around the outside of the door, sand 60, varnish, sand 100, varnish, sand 220, varnish. Hand sanding is fine, tack cloth before varnish. Spar varnish gives the best color. Use self-closing, recessed type hinges.

I am speechless. (Derek --- you were right to make note of it -- doesn't happen often!). The new Sunrader cabinets are exquisite! I also appreciate the very good explanations for constructing them ---- despite the fact that my skill level is not up to this. I found the pictures and explanations inspirational and it gave me ideas for making some of the changes that I want to make in my own cabinets. Last summer, I spent a day on a sail boat looking at how things were kept in place while sailing and thinking about what could be adapted to the motorhome. There were many items like the counter edge that make sense for the little motorhomes. Thanks for sharing your work. Sue

• 1 month later...

Been meaning to respond to your topic for quite awhile.

Cabinets look fantastic. Redwood doors have a nice contrast with the perforated cane. Nice construction choice. You're quite the craftsman.

Countertops look great too. Fiddles make sense if you have passengers (kids especially) and need to have a counter/table while traveling.

• 9 months later...