Would like to install a Generator

DustyRose

I have a 1990 Sunrader and would like to install a generator but I don't know where to start. I think there is a compartment for a generator, it seems to be insulated, the box is metal. It reminds me of an old icebox. There are no wires or holes for wiring. It is right beside the inverter. What kind of generator is the best, what size, where to start! Help please!

Unless you buy a generator for an RV you can not run it in the box. RV generators have special cooling systems, wiring and provisions for fuel delivery. However if you don't mind taking it out and putting in on the ground it by far is the simplest method just take it out start it up and plug in the MH cord. A little Honda 2000 watt would work just fine pricey but very nice and a $1000 or more less then a built in.

Dusty,

I have an '88 Sunrader that came with a Kohler 2.5 installed in a metal box like yours. It was very loud, had difficulty getting parts so I found a used Onan 2.8 and switched them. I doubt you could find a running Kohler, but the Kohler was tall and not very wide and the Onan is wide and not very tall; I had to make a larger enclosure, seal it tight and line it with metal. Access is from above. I live in Arizona and did all that because I want to run my roof ac while driving in the summer heat. If you are looking for an easy way to charge your batteries while camping it is much less expensive to find a small generator like Maineah suggests.

Seamus McShank

http://www.panther-rvproducts.com/Cummins-Onan-RV-Generator-28KV-FA-26100-28KV-FA-26100.htm;jsessionid=81C97EEE4E7A0A39E76D0343475622AF.qscstrfrnt01

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=NEW+HONDA+2000+WATT+PORTABLE+GENERATOR+INVERTOR+EU2000i

As you see there is a pretty big price spread the Onan will also require extra kits and wiring. The Honda you can just plug in. The Onan does work well it does vibrate the MH pretty good but is quiet all though not as quiet as the Honda there are other inverter generators but the good ones are with in a $100 of one another. If you feel you need more power the Honda 3000 watt is a great unit but before you buy measure first it's a good bit bigger and heavier.