brake shoes 1983 minnie cruiser - urgent

yota_mkii

hi - what brake shoes do i get for a 6-lug 1983 minnie cruiser?// emergency, have to get these in the morning,

oh my god, do i have to find the seals as well? how do i find the part # for the shoes / seals on the replacement axle??? (manual would be nice, if such a think exists?)

When looking for axle/brake parts, don't even mention that you've got an '83. Tell them it's for an '87 C&C or U-Haul truck. I don't think there's any difference between the 1-Ton parts over the years ('86-'93) for replacement parts (other that left-hand threads on '86 wheel studs).

U-Haul actually sells parts ('89-'93). They should have the right parts. If you can't find it on their site, an email or phone call to them might get you the Part Number that could be cross reference at your local NAPA (or whatever) store.

http://epc.uhaul.com...k=u-haul/toyota

:ThumbUp:

Edit: I assumed above that you're referring to the rear brakes. While you're in there, clean, check and repack the rear wheel/axle bearings. There's no service interval listed for them, but it makes sense to do so since they have to be disturbed anyway to do the brakes.

I just had a quick look at their site and most 'consumable' parts are listed with prices and (very conveniently) Part Numbers. A very valuable tool. I'm guessing that a Google search of the PN would turn up various vendors. Perhaps ,if and when, you identify the correct the correct parts you could post the numbers here for future reference.

thats a starts, thanks a ton (np intended) Derek up North, So given that it is the replacement axle, i should be shopping for the parts you mention... i found some toyota OEM numbers on this site, they are for an 89 mini cruiser... i am not at all sure if these will work for the 1 ton full float axle

Wheel Seal, Rear, Inner 90310-35001

Wheel Seal, Rear, Outer 90311-62001

Rear Brake Shoe, 04495-35180

i'm driving1.5 hrs south to get it done by the fellow from whom i bought it - as i haven't done a set of drums since i was a kid, and never 1-tons. he's a mechanic and seemed apologetic that he didn't check the rear brakes before selling (one of his mechanics was supposed to have done the work (supposedly). offered to do it cheap, but i have to find the parts. i'll mention the bearings to him.

When going to the parts store have them look at a 1988 1 ton for the rear axle parts.

While in there, replace both oil seals, repack bearings, new shoes, service rear end fluid.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I would for sure replace the actuating cylinders ANY time you replace shoes and espically on one of these Toyota's. Last time I had the shoes replaced on my Ford I told the guy to just replace them even if he thought they were still ok, because that's just how it's done. A week after getting it back I find a puddle of brake fluid under thr drivers side rear. He said " sorry but they looked so good I didn't change them". Not worth the chance as they will be a small part of the total cost/labor of the job, which will have to be re-done when they start leaking.

Vanman