kitchen window occasional drip

waiter

I had a very minor leak at the top of the kitchen window. if it rained real hard, I would get a small puddle on the kitchen counter behind the sink.

** Sorry, no photos, the Wife had the camera **

Thinking it may be coming down inside the wall from the roof, Last week, I carefully resealed the roof above the window. When I did the roof, I didn't see anything that I suspected was causing the puddle. (Scratching head)

Next rain, same problem.

I looked at the exterior of the window, I didn't see anything obvious and. The only way to tell for sure is to pull the window out.. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Today I pulled the window, and I found the problem.

The window had a nice bead of something (I think polyurethane, but may have been silicon) from the factory, looked very good, looked like it should have sealed.

When I got the window out, I found that the window had a foam seal around the inside of the frame, and this seal was pinched and not positioned very good. and it was allowing a small opening for an occasional water drop to sneak in on the very edge where the sealant bead had separated from the frame.

The window original had a foam seal. kind of like that stuff you buy at the big box store, maybe 1/2 square with adhesive strip on one side.

First, I don't like the foam as a water seal, so I cleaned as best I could, I used a wire brush to get the foam off the frame, then I used lacquer thinner to scrub and clean most of the foam adhesive off the frame. The exterior opening cleaned very easily, and I wiped everything with lacquer thinner.

I had some 3/8 urethane bead left over from a Ford window, so I ran this around the inside of the window fram, not as a seal (although it might help) but more to position the window in the opening.

I used blue painters tape on the exterior opening and also the exterior of the frame so when I ran the caulk, it would clean up easier.

I got some urethane caulk (King Caulk or something like that) adhesive/sealant and squirted a big bead all the way around the window frame. I then ran a nice big bead all the way around the window opening.

I pressed the window back in the opening, checked that I was getting sealant squirming out of everywhere, and tighten the internal frame.

I then used a small plastic squeegee to clean up the the sealant where it squirted out, so I have a nice bead all the way around the window. I then removed the blue tape.

Its supposed to rain tomorrow, we'll see if this solved the drip.

ALSO - I don't like the way the windows were originally seated using that foam, so next spring, I'll reseat the other windows.

John Mc

88 Dolphin

Today - Heavy, steady rain.:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Kitchen Window, NO LEAKS :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp:

I'll redo the other windows next spring.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto