83 sunrader pricing help

kurthicks

Hello everyone!

I'm looking at an '83 Sunrader. Hoping to get an idea of a fair price for it. I've highlighted questions/comments in bold. I'd love thoughts on the package and if you've got something similar and what you paid for it.

Details:

--22R/E motor, 4 cylinder, 4 speed - was this an option or is it an aftermarket upgrade?

--Dual real axle with factory recommended upgrade

--83,499 original miles

--Tires new @ 75,000 miles; alignment, Belts and hoses, Front brakes, Ball joints, Exhaust manifold, new Batteries, New water pump, All fuel lines and gas filler hose, All new carpets – floor, walls, ceiling, cabover- done in last 1.5 years

Concerns:

--Propane (working) / electric (not working) refrigerator - is this easy/moderate to fix?

--When do I need to replace the timing belt in these?

--How do i check if it's got the 20R, 22r, or 22R/E?

--When do clutches typically go out in these?

--Anything else I need to check out in this vehicle?

Thanks!

Kurt (hopeful sunrader owner)

kurt,

I just bought a very nice 22 ft 86 sunrader with 75K. It has the 22RE w/auto. The 22RE was not available, I think, in 83. I believe they were still using the 20R.

You do not have a T belt. You have a chain. I do not know what the recommended change time is for the chain.

Mine is in very nice shape, has a new fridge. It does have a few things that need doing with the plumbing. I paid 5000. I think I got a pretty good deal. I suspect that somewhere in the 4-6K range sounds about right. What is the size?

Toyota went from 20R to 22R in 81. The difference between 22R and RE is that the RE is fuel injection, 22R is carbed. Fuel injection was first introduced in 85.

1983 was also the last year for double row timing chain and metal chain guides. No need to worry about it. The problem comes in 84 and later went to single row chain and plastic guides. The guides break and the chain slaps against the timing cover and causes coolant leak, but like I say, yer good to go.

My clutch went out at 170k, but it all varies, I've heard from 130-230k from different people. If it does go, it's an easy $500 job at your mechanic.

I'm assuming when you say upgraded axle, you mean the floating axle, not just the two rims bolted together.

Thats all I can think of as far as the chassis go...

I'm assuming when you say upgraded axle, you mean the floating axle, not just the two rims bolted together.

Photos arrived. It has a 22R in it. It has the 6 lug with the hub on the back...so it's an '83, 18', 22R, 83K miles, full floating axle, lots of recent work, good tires. Looks good in the photos inside and out.

i'm thinking $6000ish sounds high, but reasonable. thoughts?

It seems a couple grand ,at least, more than I would pay, but keep in mind I only go for cheap deals. NADA only goes back to 89 and it shows an 89 sunrader at 4,400-5,300 RETAIL but I'm no expert. I wonder about water damage. The sunraders are supposed to be less likely to get leaks from the outside, but as Greg can attest, there can be water damage elsewhere. I seem to recall he had to replace his bathroom floor. Like I said, I know a lot more about the chassis than the camper itself so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Toyota went from 20R to 22R in 81. The difference between 22R and RE is that the RE is fuel injection, 22R is carbed. Fuel injection was first introduced in 85.

1983 was also the last year for double row timing chain and metal chain guides. No need to worry about it. The problem comes in 84 and later went to single row chain and plastic guides. The guides break and the chain slaps against the timing cover and causes coolant leak, but like I say, yer good to go.

My clutch went out at 170k, but it all varies, I've heard from 130-230k from different people. If it does go, it's an easy $500 job at your mechanic.

Thats all I can think of as far as the chassis go...

Thanks for the info. When I do my chain/tensioner replacement, can I upgrade to the metal style tensioner and double row chain?

My '86 has 75K, so, I guess it's due given the age, if not mileage.

Thanks for the info. When I do my chain/tensioner replacement, can I upgrade to the metal style tensioner and double row chain?

My '86 has 75K, so, I guess it's due given the age, if not mileage.

Unfortunately because of cover clearances, you can't go to double row. 75k is a little soon for the chain, you can pull the valve cover and look down the front on the drivers side and see if the guide is still in one piece. LC Engineering or engnbldr.com will have the replacement kits with the metal chain guides.

It is an 18' model.

Thanks. Anyone else have some insight?

We bought a 1982 18 foot Sunrader about 2 years ago for $4000. It has a 22R engine, 4 speed manual trans, full floating axle. It had a roof mounted air conditioner and Coleman generator as well, but the air conditioner was causing the roof to sag and as a result, had been leaking at the vent, so we removed it. It had 82.000 miles on it when we bought it. It seems as the price of gas goes up, the value of the Toyota based motorhomes is going up as well. I would think that $6000 is about tops for the unit you describe.

I think bill's right about toyhouse prices. There really aren't many options for decent mileage in an RV other than the toyotas. There are the older renault diesel fwd models, but, they have issues wiht their crappy frog powerplants.

I think 6 grand sounds about right unless you got something really special. I wonder if they might appreciate further if we see gas above 3 bucks again this summer?