89 Winnebago auto transmission, detent cable problem???

I was driving today up a steep hill and kicked down to change to a lower gear, after cresting the hill the transmission would not change back up, it was stuck in the low gear. I pulled over and checked the TV cable (detent or kick down cable) there was a loop of loose cable at the end of the outer sheathing, I pulled on the loose cable and met resistance but there was no spring return feeling to it. So I pushed the loose loop of cable back into the sheathing and continued on my way, I avoided kicking down again and the transmission seemed to be changing up almost normal.

I bought a new detent cable two years ago and had a transmission shop replace the old cable with the new, up to now everything seemed to be working fine; I admit I don’t often kick down to change gear, so I don’t believe the outer sheathing could be worn, causing the inner cable to jam??? One more thing! When the transmission shop replaced the cable, they added a grounding strap to the transmission to avoid electrolysis in the cable.

Does anyone have an idea on what is going wrong, and how to correct the problem?

Thanks Mike.