First trip 1990 Dolphin - Yosemite

90toydolphin

we had our maiden voyage oct 7th. just 100 miles away in yosemite. i still don't feel real comfortable driving the rig yet, but i am more so now. really enjoyed keeping it below 60, most of the time only 50 and enjoyed the drive as much as the stay. we ended up on the south side of the park at a small campsite, wawona camp grounds. probably not spelled right. it was full but found a couple of guys willing to share their site, they were from Sylvania so that was fun visiting and sharing. we had a water line fitting break the first night so had no in house water, but just used some coffee pots to bring in what we needed. it was cold at night and after some reading on the board i think our fan motor on the heater hasn't got long. it made some scary noises on start up then was fine. we ran the heater for awhile, helped the cold, but then the carbon monoxide alarm went off so we had a couple of cool nights. after getting home i discovered the window above the exhaust for the heater was cracked open, maybe where the carbon monoxide came from. i'll be doing some testing before the next trip. the unit itself looks very sound, no corrosion etc. we both enjoy our morning liquids so having a rest area where ever we stopped was wonderful butwiggle[1].gif we also had an AC plug we planned on using for the tv go bad, had a long enough extension on board to work around that. being new to the rv thingie and generators we ended up running it more than we really should have. :headbonk: no one complained but later found we shouldn't have used it so much, looking into doing a inverter to help with that before the next trip. we had changed out the 2-way frig for a AC and filled the freezer box with frozen freezer bags that worked well. when we ran the generator they refroze and kept everything nice until the next time. figuring out what we should and should take will take time, but confident we will get there. we are looking forward to planning our next short trip for weekend get away. once my wife finishes her nursing school and state testing we'll have more time to do so. we are talking about doing a two week trip next spring/summer through salt lake, yellowstone and seatle. personally i need to do some more short stuff to have the confidence in the rig to head out for that long. i just have to remember that there are repair shops all along the way to keep us going if necessary. as roy and dale said, happy trails.

We just got back from our first trip with our new to us Toyhouse. My wife and I traveled extensively pulling a pop-up and by comparison, the Toyhouse was so easy. I had to keep telling her that they really do sell groceries along the way, and if we forgot something, we will do without it. After a 4 day trip, she realized that she does not need half of the stuff that she took with the old camper. I think that this is going to work out really well.

• 1 month later...

90Toy, appreciate first trip jitters as we still have that ahead of us (88 Dolphin). Found the heater motor and fan assembly pretty easy to service. I cleaned and greased the bushings, checked the valve flapper and adjusted the squirrel cage to make opperation smooth and quiet. Suspect our "first" adventure is a ways off still. Spent more than a couple of vacations sleeping in the back of my Dad's El Camino while parked in Wawona. Gerry