I dropped off 4 6 lug "3 hole" new dually rims at discount tire to have some new Hankooks put on them for my axle swap. They called and said that the valve stem hole is smaller than their schrader 413 stem will fit in. My Toyota parts guy found an obselete part number for dual valve stems Toyot P/N 05021 but had no idea what size hole they went into. I am wondering if the powder coaters were just too enthusiastic on these rims, as I have run into that before on other coated parts. Any ideas?

'Escapering'

I dropped off 4 6 lug "3 hole" new dually rims at discount tire to have some new Hankooks put on them for my axle swap. They called and said that the valve stem hole is smaller than their schrader 413 stem will fit in. My Toyota parts guy found an obselete part number for dual valve stems Toyot P/N 05021 but had no idea what size hole they went into. I am wondering if the powder coaters were just too enthusiastic on these rims, as I have run into that before on other coated parts. Any ideas?

We replaced all 7 of ours when we replaced the tires. The Toyota dealer ordered the stems, funny shape due to the wheels. I just measured the diam of the new one the dealer buggered up and it's .379 " slightly over 3/8 ", the metric caliper shows 8.6mm. If you need I can probably find the part # for the stems, replacing them was a waste as far as I'm concered. they were all find as were the O rings, btw the new stems come with the same demensions as far as I could see but the new O rings were red, not black, and even smaller in diameter than the originals, either way very little compression on the O rings so I am assuming Toyota trust the machining on the wheels. What is a " 3 hole" wheel???

vanman

I think that he is referring to the cut outs in the wheels. My 6 bolt wheels have 3 large cut outs that lighten the wheel and make if so that you can get to the rear stem.

Thank you very much for the information. Never quite sure whether to trust the tire monkeys. In this case I guess they were right.. I have seen 2 types of toyota dual rims. The "old style" were from 85 and 86 iirc and had six "hand holes" in them. The newer rims 87 - 94 had three "hand holes." The older rims don't have bevelled lug stud holes and the newer ones do. Again thanks very much for the information. Appreciate it greatly.

Mark

Hopefully the final update. I found some all metal valve stems that Grainger carries, labelled either .382 or .390 inches for iveco, mack and volvo trucks. They were an all metal type, looked to be 2 1/3 to 3 inches long and were made by camel or myers. aluminum or brass with maybe a 60 degree bend in them. Hopefully I will have tires soon.

Thanks again.

Mark