building a rear top bunk?

86rader

My 86 sunrader has a rear full size bed. I am thinking of constructing a twin size bunk to go over it for my 8 year old son.

My plan is to make it removable, possibly hinged at the back so it could swing down forming a backrest for the lower bed turning it into a couch.

I doubt mounting the bunk into the wall would be very smart. I would instead make some sort of framework that would rest on the lower bed

upon further inspection, I have come to the realization that too much precious storage space would be lost to accomplish this. My rader has upper cabinets on both side above the bed.

I think I will be able to do something with the bench seat that is just forward of the rear bed on the driver side. Its about 4 ft long. If I build a shelf out into the isle between it and the stove, I should end up with about a 4 ft square bed. My son ought to be able to fit this diagonally. For a year or two, anyway. He grows about an inch a week

• 2 months later...

My mom just asked me a similar question. She wants to take my 10 year old niece camping this summer and wanted to know if it was possible to build a bunk bed in an already crammed A frame pop-up trailer. After about 45 mins of listening to Mom's wacky ideas.. (she has very little carpentry experience) I asked her ... "well what did you do when we all went camping in the VW van back in the day?"

"Well you kids slept outside in tents," she replied.

A blow-up mattress on the RV floor would seem to work well too. No, seriously... I once saw a clever design of a bunk bed that fit ontop of the dashboard and front seats. 2 kids supposedly slept there.

thnx for link too Lake. will have to check that site out. Sounds pretty cool.