Hello all, Just bought a 92 Itasca 21’ Toy Motor home, I am very exited and can’t wait to take my first trip.

My question is this; The previous owner warned me about over-revving the V6 engine when using the overdrive,(automatic tranny) presumably a down shift at high speed, he installed a Tach. To monitor engine revs.

I have noticed on several occasions that a down shift has resulted at bringing the engine close to red line(3600rpm?)

Is this an issue to be concerned about, I do practice floating the throttle so as to alleviate the need for the over drive to kick in , but as of now the overdrive does kick in fairly regularly.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Rusty

Hello all, Just bought a 92 Itasca 21’ Toy Motor home, I am very exited and can’t wait to take my first trip.

My question is this; The previous owner warned me about over-revving the V6 engine when using the overdrive,(automatic tranny) presumably a down shift at high speed, he installed a Tach. To monitor engine revs.

I have noticed on several occasions that a down shift has resulted at bringing the engine close to red line(3600rpm?)

Is this an issue to be concerned about, I do practice floating the throttle so as to alleviate the need for the over drive to kick in , but as of now the overdrive does kick in fairly regularly.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Rusty

I don't know what the v-6 redline is. I would guess somewhere between 5-6k. It's not even breaking a sweat at 3600. The tach that was installed, has a redline for something more like a diesel. You will not over rev the engine unless you do something really really stupid like dropping it into 1st gear at 60 miles per hr.

Don't worry about it and if you want it to stay out of OD, turn the darn thing off!!

I don't know what the v-6 redline is. I would guess somewhere between 5-6k. It's not even breaking a sweat at 3600. The tach that was installed, has a redline for something more like a diesel. You will not over rev the engine unless you do something really really stupid like dropping it into 1st gear at 60 miles per hr.

Don't worry about it and if you want it to stay out of OD, turn the darn thing off!!

It may just be a coincidence that the Mechanic I checked with said that R/line was 3600 and the Tach was set for 3600, Im going to check with Toyota just to be sure.

Thanks