help with roof sag front sleeper bed area driver door in jeopardy

jaz

I have a 92 Toyota Dolphin which has had a new rubber roof put on 2 years ago.. all was well but I now have noticed after getting it ready after sitting for the winter (outside) that my driver side door's clearance actually skims the underside of the overhanging bed.....so something has dropped...I can still get out but fear that perhaps at some point I may not be able to open my door or do some major scraping. The passenger side has a good clearance of about 1 1/4". Not sure what has happened. I did have the side opened up to the floor to replace some nasty water damage under the sofa just behing the drivers seat...but not sure IF that caused the problem...Has this happened to anyone else and what are if any ways to fix this droop by raising it OR as least stopping it from any further sagging? When looking at it from the front you can see a very slight deviation. Can I put something under the plastic molding which sits on the cab ceiling? Do I have to jack it up somehow? Any help appreciated as this female wants to get back on the road. Thanks

Jaz,

Your problem sounds like the cabover area is rotten and is starting to sag down because there isn't enough good wood to hold everything together anymore. Pull up all the bedding, pillows, everything on the cabover bunk and then get up there and look, feel, smell and push on all the panels, the bed wood, the side walls, the front wall, the ceiling and around the windows. If there is any water or dampness present, you're probably gonna' have to start doing some exploratory surgery to see what's happening in the walls and bed area.

Try this little test: Go outside and stand at the driver's side door. Now try pushing up at the edge of the cabover. If the rot is bad enough, you might be able to move the side up and down a bit. If only the fiberglass panel that the door is hitting is sagging, you might be able to somehow push it back up and re-glue it from the inside after removing some of the wood on the bed to get access to the inside. A good idea here is to visit an RV repair shop and get more opinions.

John