Anyone know someone with 3.0 valve adjustment experience?

I need to get the valves adjusted on my 1993 Toy and the local Dealership really

doesn't want to do it (my feeling is they lack confidence). Does anyone know of

someone anywhere East of the Rockies who is good at this?

• 1 month later...

The Brunswick, Ohio dealer has at least one experienced tech. Valve adjustments are not rocket science for competent mechanics. Even if they were affraid of the "shims", it would be worth at least checking to see if there were any out of adjustment. I will be checking mine soon. I just bought new valve cover gaskets. I'll keep you posted.

I need to get the valves adjusted on my 1993 Toy and the local Dealership really

doesn't want to do it (my feeling is they lack confidence). Does anyone know of

someone anywhere East of the Rockies who is good at this?

I ended up calling around to all the Dealerships in a 200 mile radius, talking to the head mechanic (not anyone else!) and asking how long their mechanics had worked there and how many had done this job before. I found one in White River Jct, VT, just 100 miles away, who had 5 mechanics who had done this job, all had been there over 17 years and were there during the head gasket recall and had done many of them!! They even gave me a firm quote of between $350-$550, admitted that tho they had a lot of shims there was the possibility that I would be out of commission a few days while the ordered a shim or two, but, since I am a full timer, they said they could push me out into the parking lot so I could stay with my rig. In the end they got the job completed (only 4 on the exhaust side needed adjusting, they were too tight, I have the specs even) in 6 hours and at a cost of $400. And while there checked the hoses, plugs, wires, etc and didn't need to replace anything else.

I need to get the valves adjusted on my 1993 Toy and the local Dealership reallydoesn't want to do it (my feeling is they lack confidence). Does anyone know of someone anywhere East of the Rockies who is good at this?

Hmmm, Mary's 92 V6 has 87 K on it and the Toyota dealer we took it to for much work said they have an "sound test" to see if it needs any adjustment. They said it was fine. How did you know yours needed some shims replaced??? Some of the work this dealer did was of terrible quality so there isn't any trust factor with this dealer.

Vanman

Run, don't walk......that dealership is feeding you a live of bullhockey! There is no way to know except taking it apart and measuring! The manual says to "inspect and adjust as needed" every 60K miles. I too had more than one dealership try and talk me out of doing this with some lame excuse or another because they don't have mechanics with experience necessary. And believe me, even though it isn't all that hard, it needs to be done by someone who is experienced doing it. My first toy was done by an inexperienced mechanic at a dealership and one mile down the road all oooo broke loose......somehow (no one can explain quite how) they damaged the camshaft. And although the towing and the fix was all done on their dime, I was without my home for 10 days! They did give me a loaner car. I could tell they never wanted to see me again. Call around to other dealerships (or independents who have experience with the 3.0) and talk to the head honcho. That is what I did and found a great dealership.

Where are you located?

I need to get the valves adjusted on my 1993 Toy and the local Dealership reallydoesn't want to do it (my feeling is they lack confidence). Does anyone know of someone anywhere East of the Rockies who is good at this?

Hmmm, Mary's 92 V6 has 87 K on it and the Toyota dealer we took it to for much work said they have an "sound test" to see if it needs any adjustment. They said it was fine. How did you know yours needed some shims replaced??? Some of the work this dealer did was of terrible quality so there isn't any trust factor with this dealer.

Vanman

Their's nothing different about doing the adj just need a tool to compress the buckets or lifters to remove the shim if they were to tight it would be a thinner shim The tool is not expensive can be found on line. There is a couple hrs labor the remove the stuff on top to get to the valve covers.The shims are pricy from Toyota most of them will be in spec's anyway,when a shim is removed don't turn eng over the Cam will hit the side of the bucket.

vtchris

Run, don't walk......that dealership is feeding you a live of bullhockey! There is no way to know except taking it apart and measuring! The manual says to "inspect and adjust as needed" every 60K miles. I too had more than one dealership try and talk me out of doing this with some lame excuse or another because they don't have mechanics with experience necessary.    And believe me, even though it isn't all that hard, it needs to be done by someone who is experienced doing it. My first toy was done by an inexperienced mechanic at a dealership and one mile down the road all oooo broke loose......somehow (no one can explain quite how) they damaged the camshaft. And although the towing and the fix was all done on their dime, I was without my home for 10 days! They did give me a loaner car. I could tell they never wanted to see me again. Call around to other dealerships (or independents who have experience with the 3.0) and talk to the head honcho. That is what I did and found a great dealership.Where are you located?

San Francisco , Calif, anyone in this area has any reccomendations???? JC

I am not familiar with that area, but if you have called around to the dealerships to no avail, you could try this site. Also you could ask the folks on YotaTech

vtchris

vtchris

Run, don't walk......that dealership is feeding you a live of bullhockey! There is no way to know except taking it apart and measuring! The manual says to "inspect and adjust as needed" every 60K miles. I too had more than one dealership try and talk me out of doing this with some lame excuse or another because they don't have mechanics with experience necessary.    And believe me, even though it isn't all that hard, it needs to be done by someone who is experienced doing it. My first toy was done by an inexperienced mechanic at a dealership and one mile down the road all oooo broke loose......somehow (no one can explain quite how) they damaged the camshaft. And although the towing and the fix was all done on their dime, I was without my home for 10 days! They did give me a loaner car. I could tell they never wanted to see me again. Call around to other dealerships (or independents who have experience with the 3.0) and talk to the head honcho. That is what I did and found a great dealership.Where are you located?

San Francisco , Calif, anyone in this area has any reccomendations???? JC