Vent Lids

brandwiller

I have a 1990 Toyota Odyssey, which has one vent lid that is completely cracked (above back bathroom) and another vent lid that is missing (right above where the table fits in) . I kid you not, the previous owner used a pizza box and black trash bags with duct tape to make up for the missing lid.

So my question is, what types of vent lids are compatible with this Odyssey, and where can I buy them?

They all are 14X14" except the escape hatch type the only difference is the hinge type there are two types have a look on line they usually have pictures of the two types. Just about any RV place will have replacements.

I think there are about three different types, you need to look at the hinge very carefully.

Before you buy a new vent cover, look very carefully at the existing vent, particularly the upper frame, if its made of plastic, see if its cracked where the screws mount it to the roof.

Consider replacing the entire vent if you see any cracks or the crank is jamming.

A new cover runs $10 - 15 you can buy a whole brand new metal frame vent for less than $35

John MC

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

If you Odyssey has original vents, it should be the Elixir Old Style. There is a Elixir New style that will NOT work.

You need to look at the hidge design. Also, instead of replacing the vent lids, how about just covering them with

MaxxAir vent covers. These are the best single item I purchased for my Odyssey. They allow you to keep the vent

fully open during highway speeds, during rain storms, and during winter storage (lets moisture escape).

Dennis...

Brandwiller;

Do you think I need to get an actual lid though for the one vent missing a lid?

Depends if you ever need to shut off the air flow, to hot, to cold, etc.

When you install the MaxAir - they DO NOT install to the roof, they install to the frame of the vent with angle brackets, look at the mounting instructions carefully.

Some older vents have a plastic frame. In my case the plastic frames were brittle, had small cracks, and were the source of small water leaks (water would seep through the crack)

I decided to replace the vents, inexpensive ones can be had for less than $35 each. The new vents also had metal frames. Google RV roof Vents. when you purchase - make sure they include a "Garnish" (the inside frame cover piece, why would someone buy a vent without the inside cover???

Heres a link to the vent replacement that I did.

http://toyotamotorho...?showtopic=3481

Note that I installed a MaxAir cover on one of the vents. I just bought another MaxAir and will probably install it on my fan vent. I'm still thinking of doing a roof A/C unit. If I decide to do the A/C, I'll install it where the fan vent is.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto