I just drove my 83 dolphin down from alaska to Idaho, over 3500 miles and all I had to do is add gas and go!!! AWESOME. However, when I got close to my destination, It stalled out on me a couple of times. This happened during big head winds and hot temps, although the temp gauge never went up to high. It started when I would be in first or second and it would sputter a bit, but then when I put it in 3rd or 4th it would run great. Then about an hour of driving later it did it while in 4th gear and I had to pull over because it wouldn't run. Then I started it back up got it going and was able to make it to a gas station. I put new gas (it still had at least a quarter tank, and the lever has been lower than that) and drove another 100 miles with no issues. I was thinking maybe a fuel filter maybe or clogged fuel line?? Or maybe something with the exhaust which is severely falling apart, an almost cloggged catlytic converter and no muffler hooked up right now? I have also noticed ever since the Yukon when I started it up after a construction stop, a smell of gas in the cab. It took a bit of cranking and smelled like I flooded the engine, but the smell of gas has been persistent ever since. Hopefully someone has some ideas, thanks in advance!!

Congratulations on the trip, We just finished a trip from Toledo Ohio to Deadhorse Alaska and back (11,000 miles) totally uneventful.

John and Jodie Alaska Trip

As for the stutter and fuel issues;

Contaminated fuel, plugged fuel filter. Also such things a Rotor, Cap, Ignition coil, wires, can misfire or arc internally when they get hot.

I would say replace the air and fuel filters, replace or clean the PVC valve, install new cap, rotor, wires, and plugs.

Fuel odor is a serious problem. Look around under the hood for leaking fuel lines (I assume yours is carbureted). Charcoal canister if it has one, also dry cracked vacuum lines.

One other area is the fuel filler hose and vent hose that run from the fuel tank to the fuel filler neck. these could also be cracked and dry and could also cause fuel vapors to get into the cab. If you smell fuel, remove the filler cap and see if the smell goes away.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

So I replaced all of the plugs wires and cap and fuel filter. However, the same issue is there. It seems that after I drive for a while and then stop and try to start up again it won't start, just continues to turn over. It will always start if I roll start though. After it starts it wants to die unless I get up to high speeds, actually any speed above an idle. Could this be a timing issue maybe?

What happens if you floor it while trying to start it? Here is a couple things you might have a look at, there is a small glass port hole in the carb it's on the face of the carb it has a small gray dot in the center of the glass the fuel level should be close to the center of the dot. If it is above the dot it maybe flooding when hot. The next thing is to remove the bolt in the top of the carb that holds the fuel line on. It is what's called a banjo fitting it maybe be necessary to hold the fitting it may turn. It will lift off after you remove the bolt and expose a small round screen that may very well be full of rust dirt etc..

I agree with the heat in the bowl affecting fuel. Pedal to the floor may help. Also, this has a mechanical fuel pump, so may be vapor locking, although it should still start with the fuel in the bowl. I had a Corolla that after warmed up, driven and shut off would start, drive a few feet and die - like on top of the RR tracks one day (I was tempted to leave it).