Furnace breaker popping randomly

CME

Hi everyone,

I've been having an intermittent issue with my furnace shutting off or rather the breaker on the unit popping at random times. Sometimes it's fine, and sometimes it keeps popping. This seems to happen mostly when running on 110V.

When running on 12V it will stay on regardless of the thermostat setting. ANd we have to turn it off manually.

Strange combo of issues... perhaps there are a couple to look at. Before pulling it out I thought I'd see if there is any wealth of exp. here to draw from.

I will get the model and such in a bit. (1978 little Chief)

My guess about the breaker is that the fan is drawing to much juice... won't know till I test it though. Any ideas what this 12v issue could be? I'd assume both AC and DC are working off the same switch?? So that is baffling.

Anyway, thanks for your insights.

Andre

Well the fan is the highest current draw but you have two gas valves too. It says here in the fine print the heater on land power should draw less current the reason being the voltage is higher so that is some thing you might check while it is plugged in the whole thing works on 12 volts even plugged in. See if your battery voltage actually goes down when it's plugged in and running it's possible you may have a problem with the charger/converter the lower the voltage goes the higher the current draw will be. As far as the thermostat disconnect one of the wires and see if it shuts off.